Wednesday, 22 March 2017

Music: My Style, My Story

 'We're all addicted to something that takes away the pain'

Hi there! Happy Hump Day :D I'm Nylah and I thank you for being here :)

Music is definitely a big part of my life. Even though people in my life believe music (or specifically the genres I love) are taboo or not for me, I disagree and keep going on doing what I do. 
I'm 100% certain that music is my drug. After a long day, I find myself craving to listen to music; not even the relaxing kind. Just music. For the fun of it, I tried to stay 'sober' for some 24 hours. I'm happy to say it didn't last. 

What do I listen to? What's the big deal?
I've found that I feel some sort of attraction to rock music, be it pop rock, emo pop, pop punk, alternative rock or indie rock.
My favourite artists include: [in chronological order]

  • Fall Out Boy
  • The Killers
  • Kings of Leon
  • Bon Jovi
  • My Chemical Romance
  • Coldplay
  • 30 Seconds to Mars
  • Mumford and Sons
  • Busted

So where did it all start?
I was going through a very dark period of life, that I'll probably explain in a post eventually. Anyways, it started out with a YouTube recommendation. This magical sound I'd stumbled upon was 'The Kids Aren't Alright'. I was probably sixteen-seventeen (two ish years ago) and bear in mind that I was that 'Taylor Swift Sparks Fly' teen- up until then. 

Anything else seemed taboo or for vampires or forbidden. So The Kids Aren't Alright by Fall Out Boy played. I remembered being both enticed by the sounds but also so slightly afraid of the album cover. Minutes went by, and I was curious. What was the story? Then finally, I found the album cover a work of art, of beautiful art. It tells a story. 
When I wasn't deciding my feelings toward the cover art, I listened to the lyrics. As a whole, the vocals of the lead singer were enough to sell me on this band. But, oh it was so much more than that. So much more. 

The name 'Fall Out Boy'. As a sixteen year old, I had never heard of that name, except for seeing Pete in one of those Top of the Pops magazines. I saw eyeliner and tattoos and shut the magazine, vowing to never love his band. Hilarious really, given where I stand today. What I didn't know about Pete Wentz was that he was depressed and suicidal and addicted and survived it all. And he's a great lyricist. 
All rights and praise to FOB and all but here are some of my fave lyrics:
I just did enough of you to dull the pain, just to get me through the night 'til we're twins again
I need to keep you like this in my mind, so give in or just give up
I'm the lonelier version of you, I just don't know where I went wrong
And it's our time now if you want it to be Maul the world like a carnival bear set free and your love is anaemic and I can't believe- that you couldn't see it coming for me
When you ask, you ask, me how I'm doing like you know, you know how much better off I am-
And this is supposed to match, the darkness that you felt, I never meant for you to fix yourself 
Fall Out Boy were and are the foundation and like my baby, in terms of music. Like my all time favourite. I know the words to more than fourty of their songs. And each tell a different story. 

Along the way, wherein I was in transmission and my sister thought I sold my soul to a gothic cult, I stumbled upon a band that would only further my sister's concern. But they helped numb my pain. My Chemical Romance. The lead singer here shouted a lot more, but it was with passion. Their words were still cutting me deep. I found out about MCR just after their breakup.  
So give me all your poison and give me all your pills
Sometimes I cry so hard from pleading, so sick and tired of all the needless beating
What's the worst thing I could say? Things are better if I stay
It was the lie when they smiled, and said you won't feel a thing
I hate the ending myself, but it started with an alright scene
I took the pills for these empty nights || So give me all your got, I can take it

Recently, I dared to listen to this song that I heard most people online have listened to and loved, even dubbed it a classic. None of my real friends had ever heard it. This song was, of course, Mr Brightside by the Killers. I loved it as soon as it started, which spiralled into a love of the Killers, and their separate endeavours. 
You shot me a smile and my cares were gone
Woman open the door, don't let it sting, I wanna breathe that fire again
You should've seen your little face, burning for love, holding on for your life. But All that I wanted was a little touch, a little tenderness and truth, I didn't ask for much, no. Talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time
Well why can't I sleep at night? And why don't the moon look right?
Won't you lean it on me? Rescue, set me free
The stars in my eyes were shimmering lights
Coldplay, Bon Jovi and Kings of Leon were all constantly in my life, thanks to Mum. It's only recently that their songs have been more than just catchy choruses and killer riffs. 

I can't remember when I found and loved Mumford and Sons. Oh wait- it was an edit for the TV show Reign.  I loved the title of this one song Broken Crown. So I listened and I loved. I loved the old English feel to his husky voice and the lyrics- here's some examples:


And oh. My heart. Was flawed, I knew my weakness
Consign me not to darkness
I will learn, I will learn to love the skies I'm under
Let's live, while we are young
 Okay, that's my story. I have to finish studying now so ta ta!!

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. Have any recommendations? Comment below!!!

Here are my links : (if ya interested)
I'm even giving you my email address 


SEE YOU IN MY NEXT POST!!

1 comment:

  1. My earliest memory of the Killers was in 2008..? I think, when Human came out.
    I remember I was with my sister in the sitting room and we were watching in awe. Or at least I was, she was saying "what a funny song. Obviously we're human". I always knew I was dancer.

    I remember being so mesmerised by his voice and his face- he was beautiful. And that feathered blazer wrapped it all up. The band were talented and the video was low quality. In the eyes of my starry eyed younger self, I thought they were a British band with huge potential but that was it. So I assumed they just had a one hit wonder.

    What's your earliest memory of your fave band?

    ReplyDelete