Tuesday, 21 February 2017

BOOK REVIEW: Kiss The Sky by Krista Ritchie and Becca Ritchie

At this moment in time, I'm sure you're bored of me raving about the Addicted series. But here I am, intro-ing the FOURTH novel in this series in less than a fortnight. 

I elaborated the 'FOURTH' part because less than a month ago, I couldn't even stomach the thought of reading another book. As a book lover, I hit a rough patch. So thank you to K & B Ritchie for making this alternate world with very real, very Earthy problems. Also thanks to myself for remembering this was in the middle of a vrey long (very overwhelming) TBR list.

I want to make this brief because my Nytol is supposed to kick in soon. 

20658510Virgin. Sex addict. Daredevil. Alcoholic. Smartass … Jackass. Her five friends are about to be filmed. Reality TV, be prepared.

Rose Calloway thought she had everything under control. At twenty-three, she’s a Princeton graduate, an Academic Bowl champion, a fashion designer and the daughter of a Fortune 500 mogul. But with a sex addict as a sister and roommate, nothing comes easy.

After accepting help from a producer, Rose agrees to have her life filmed for a reality television show. The Hollywood exec is her last chance to revive her struggling fashion line, and boundaries begin to blur as she’s forced to make nice with a man who always has his way.

Twenty-four-year-old Connor Cobalt is a guy who bulldozes weak men. He’s confident, smart-as-hell and lives with his equally ambitious girlfriend, Rose Calloway. Connor has to find a way to protect Rose without ruining the show. Or else the producer will get what Connor has always wanted—Rose’s virginity.

This New Adult Romance can be described as Friends meets The Real World. Expect fist fights, drugs, sex of varying degrees, crude humor and competitive alpha males. Definitely for mature readers audiences only.
 


New Adult Romance recommended for readers 18+ for mature content
GENRE: Romance, Contemporary, New Adult (NA) 
AUTHOR: Krista Ritchie
SOURCE: Bought, ebook
PAGE NUMBER: 442
RELEASE DATE: February 20th 2014

Okay, so I was initially quite apprehensive about starting this novel. Don't pull out the pitchforks yet, though. I thought Connor and Rose were romantic and all but just...they were no Lily and Lo. And Connor was an academic savage but was he really a romantic savage?

H O L Y S H * T is all I've got to say. Goodbye. 

Jk, jk. So this was an intriguing book, to say the least. The sales of Rose's fashion line, Calloway Couture, has hit an all time low since Lily's scandal (or is 'outing' the more appropriate term?') and so the only way to build it all up again is to let people love her family and friends, see their clothes and hear out Lily and Lo. How, you ask? Write a book? Build a museum? Hold a meet and greet with dress up characters and a Q & A?

Noooo fam. Reality show. So Rose, Lily, Daisy, Lo, Connor and Ryke move into a townhouse together and are pegged the virgin, sex addict, daredevil,  alcoholic, smartass and jackass, respectively. They are followed around by two camermen, one camerawoman and an annoying producer called Scott. 

It ends up being a big success due to all the fighting and fun. Oh, and the show is called Princesses of Philly. (I saw an edit on Tumblr early on in the series and thought it was called 'We Are The Calloways'). 

One thing that stood out was when Lo and Lily were explaining terms like 'ship', 'canon' and all those fandom terms to the rest. It was so funny and I relate!!

There ends up being another huge Calloway girl scandal at the end, resulting in blood, sweat and tears. 

Oooh and another thing that sticks out is the RELATIONSHIP/FRIENDSHIP OF RAISY 

**UPDATE:: This is being continued two days later because yes, the Nytol kicked in and I temporarily lost my laptop (under the bed, grrrr). 

Where was I? Ah, yes. So they're being followed around being wild and reckless and judged, as well. 
Yes, as a result of the show, they're very famous now.

This novel was so funny and great and downright fun to read! Rose is a gem (no pun intended). I love how the two snobs of the group like to be rough in bed...which brings me onto my next point. 

I myself am not into the whole BDSM, tie-up the girl with a collar on thing. Connor clearly was and it was described pretty cool, not making me freak out that much. This is actually the only way I'd picture these snobs to go down on each other lol. 

Okay! Moving on- I kind of didn't like the way Lily was described in certain situations. Like, yes she blushes and all. But came across as a nail biting, nervous nelly with no spine. (This slightly increased in Hothouse Flower). 

Props to Frederick, Connor's therapist for being a cracker! Honestly, I wanted to see more of him. 

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES
(Honestly, this is my favourite part of reviewing)
  • ''Kiss the sky with me,'' Connor whispers, a beautiful smile pulling his lips, ''and don't ever come down''.
  • ''He has put trust into other people, whereas I'd rather kill myself trying to do it alone''.
  • ''I don't want to fall. I never have before''. 
  • ''Leaving me to my own f**cking thoughts''.
  • CONNOR IS GOALS. Case in point: '''Can you fix my mascara?'' I ask in a whisper. ''Look up'', he tells me. I stare at the ceiling while his thumb removes the black smudges I've caused.''
  • ''You're going to f**cking hell for this!'' Ryke says with darkness swirling in his brown eyes.
  • ''-Washing away his own fury with alcohol. I smile. Because we cope in the same way. Not usually with drinking, but with pulling our shoulders back and taking it like a f**cking champ.''
  • ''His eyes swim in mine, as if searching for my mental state. I'm f**cking fine, I want to scream back. But I choose to take another large swig of the biting whiskey''. 
  • GOTTA LOVE LOREN. Case in point: '''Rose, not to lecture you at this really sensitive time in your life,'' Loren says, ''but that's not how you drink whiskey. And as an expert in liquor, it offends me''.
  • ''LET ME AT HIM!'' Daisy screams...''HE HIT MY SISTER!'' ''Say it a little louder, Dais!'' Ryke shouts at her. ''The world can't f**cking hear you!''
  • '''Tell him I hate him''. ''Any other messages?'' I look at Ryke. ''Tell him to f**k himself.'' I nod. ''Didn't expect anything eloquent''.'
  • 'Ryke struggles in my grip, and he turns on me for a second. ''I swear to whatever f**king weird god you believe in, Connor, if you don't let me beat the shit out of him, I'm going to f**king punch you in the face''. 
  • 'Ryke and Daisy stare at each other for a long moment that's filled with words I can't hear and things I can't read.'
  • I want her to experience as many firsts with me as she possibly can.
  • I want to protect her. From everything, even herself. 
  • She'd grab an old fur coat and scream, muffling the noises in the clothes. She made sure to have her mental breakdowns in private. Even in her madness, there's still a level control. 
  • She screams again, a high-pitched wail that rips out my heart.
  • Why is the most significant person in her life her saviour and her demon?
  • I can't save that kid from his demons, and watching him drown is not a show I want a front row seat to. 
  • THE GUYS' BANTER WAS TOO MUCH. 'Ryke nods to me. ''Go ahead, princess.'' ''Stop, you're making me blush'', I say flatly. 
  • ''I'm toasting first a the wedding, just so you know. I'm afraid you'll scare the children''. ''Fuck you''. ''My point exactly''.
  • RAISY FEELS BE LIKE 'For as much as I give Ryke a hard time, I can't imagine another person with a kinder soul'.
  • Ryke and I exchange a look before staring back down at Daisy. She rubs her temple, her long hair tangled at her waist. ''I feel really short when you guys do that whole towering over me thing''. DAISY IS 5'11 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD ><
  • ''You're wearing your emotions''. Ryke tries to blanket his face with contentedness. 
  • ''One that only Rose can enter'' Loren banters. ''I'll let you in sometime, darling. Don't worry''. 
  • RYKE <3 ''Blondes or brunettes?'' Lo stares harshly. ''Brunettes''. ''I don't give a sh*t sbout hair colour'', Ryke says..'
  • ''Momma Calloway is going to ream your ass..Good look, bro''. ''You're enjoying my distress way too f**king much.'' ''It keeps my life bright''. 
  • ROSE IS ME #HEELSGALS 'I feel so short without high heels on. I look up.'
  • If you're drowning, you f**king drown
  • ''and trust me when I say that you won't ever see more than I give you''.
  • She's drowning in her beautiful f**king mind
You could say I had time today lol. No, I loved the dry humour, sarcasm and jokes from these guys, with Connor leading.
 ⋆⋆⋆⋆
Here are my links : (if ya interested)
I'm even giving you my email address 


BYEEEEEEEEEEEE

No comments:

Post a Comment