Tuesday, 21 February 2017

BOOK REVIEW: Hothouse Flower by Krista & Becca Ritchie

This was my highly anticipated book in this series and I'm SO incredibly excited to review it for you today!!

Where are my manners? Hello, I hope you're having a fantastic day today. I'm having a bittersweet day, given that I just finished Hothouse Flower a couple of minutes ago. Eeeeee. 

Let's go down on it! ?(Not as dodgy as it meant to sound)

18308266Ryke Meadows, meet Daisy Calloway ... she’s all grown up. 

Twenty-five-year-old Ryke Meadows knows he’s hard to love. With a billion-dollar inheritance, a track-star resume, and an alpha-male personality—he redefines the term likable asshole. But he’s not living to make friends. Or enemies. He just wants to free climb three of the toughest mountains in Yosemite without drama or interruption.

And then he receives a distressed call from a girl in Paris—a girl that he has never been allowed to have.

Daisy Calloway is eighteen. Finally. With her newfound independence, she can say goodbye to her overbearing mother and continue her modeling career. Next stop, Paris. Fashion Week begins with a bang, and Daisy uncovers the ugly reality of the industry. She wants to prove to her family that she can live on her own, but when everything spirals out of control, she turns to Ryke to keep her secrets. 

As Daisy struggles to make sense of this new world and her freedom, she pushes the limits and fearlessly rides the edge. Ryke knows there’s deep hurt beneath every impulsive action. He must keep up with Daisy, and if he lets her go, her favorite motto—“live as if you’ll die today”—may just come true.


New Adult Romance: recommended for readers 18+ for mature content

Alrighty! So I'm pretty sure I've made it a zillion per cent clear that I was most looking forward to reading this novel, because it focuses on my #1 bookship of the moment: Raisy 





nounplural raisy 
 [ray-zee] 
1.
the perfect relationship shared between socialites Ryke Meadows and Daisy Calloway. 
adjective
2.
of, relating to, or the perfect relationship shared between socialites Ryke Meadows and Daisy Calloway
3.
overprotected, artificial, or unnaturally delicate. beautiful, protective, or spontaneous 
Now that we've got that out of the way, let's get down to business! So originally, I was a bit curious (borderline worried), as to how a relationship will pan out between Daisy and Ryke, given that he's managed to refrain for two-ish years. 

The events actually happened fittingly. So Daisy has ADD, PTSD, night terrors and insomnia as a result of her being bullied by not only the media but her 'best friends' from school. Oh, and that time that guy broke her rib outside a bar due to a teeny motorcycle incident. 

As a result of her not being able to sleep more than a couple of hours a night, and with her own apartment and job, Ryke offers to help her out. 
Get this: Ryke is two floors above eighteen year old Daisy and he sleeps in her bed (platonically. If anything, as a bodyguard) and checks her windows and locks so she's sure no one can get in. This obviously results in him having a boner most mornings lol.
Somewhere between giving her motorcycle lessons, being her flirty buddy and keeping her safe from the monsters in her nightmares, Ryke falls hard for Daisy and vice-versa. 
But in true Ritchie fashion, it isn't until they're an ocean or two apart and Dais accidentally watches Ryke go down on another girl via Skype. Then he follows her to Paris and the rest is history..Kinda..
It's obviously more complicated than that. Why? Well there's the seven year age gap, the parental feuds and his brother's disapproval, to say the least. 

This novel was beautiful and I loved every part. It was honestly so therapeutic and aesthetically pleasing to read, given that all the protagonists go through real issues. 
In spite of that, I hoped that there'd be more description and thoughts regarding the..disfiguration ? Should the person have pondered getting surgery? Y'know? I wanted them to at least ponder it and to be told yes or no by everyone else. 

Also, I didn't like that Daisy, the girl, was the only one who said aloud what everyone, especially the two of them, knew. Like her asking him if he liked her, etc. She slightly came across as needy in that sense but I guess his silent, reciprocating feelings made up for it. 

It was written in Daisy and Rykes' alternating POVs and I LOLed at the warning message at the beginning from Ryke, re: his profanity. Swearing is what makes Ryke Ryke but sometimes it was a bit much. Case in point: ''Do you want to know the kind of restraint it takes to be in this f**king position with this f**king girl almost every f**king night without doing one f**king thing?

As I mentioned in the review for Kiss The Sky, Lily was described as a bit of a as a nail biting, nervous nelly with no spine. This kind of worsened ever so slightly. For example, *SPOILER ALERT KINDA* when Lo and Ryke go head to head, she could've stopped him, I mean he'd freeze in hell and burn in heaven for her. I get that they had to talk it out (in true, physical Hale-Meadows fashion) but maybe I'm biased in thinking that Ryke didn't deserve that. 

Other than those little tidbits, this novel was a flawless masterpiece. Loved it sooooo much. And Daisy! She's such a cute, scatterbrained 'sweetheart'. 

QUOTE TIME!
  • And with every daring event, I've been there, by her side, carrying her almost every time she's fallen.
  • She's beautiful because she can make the saddest person in the world grin. And she can make the loneliest guy feel something more. 
  • ''Do you need a hug?'' Rose asks me. ''Because if you do, Lily can give you one.'' Lily looks at Rose like really?
  • "But instead, I just scream, releasing the anguish that rips apart my insides."
  • But Paris is my test. I want to pass, but a part of me wonder if it's even possible to be that fearless girl again. Maybe too much has changed to go back. 
  • It tears my heart watching her recoil like that.
  • ''You've been through hell...Stop trying to be strong. Just f**king cry, Daisy. Scream. Yell. Be f**king angry''.
  • THE BANTER AGAIN: I nod to Connor. ''Hey Princess, you want to compete at chin-ups?''...''Jut get your ass to the pull up bar''. Lo stretches his arms. ''Hey, don't talk about his ass like that. ''You're making my first love jealous,'' Connor banters, heading to the bar with me
  • AGAIN: ''That's cute. Did you write that in your diary this morning?'' ''No, I read it from yours''
  • STAY BLESSED, LO: He's staring at the sky like he wishes he could settle among the stars for f**king eternity and never have to live this life.
  • ...kicking shit over and screaming at the top of my lungs..
  • I rarely ever f**king cry. I can count on one hand the number of times I've shed a f**king tear. ME TOO RYKEY
  • ''Wait a goddamn second,'' he says. I want to know how you are''. How am I? Numb, but my emotions try so hard to surface and pour through me. I could scream until my voice leaves me. I could run until my legs buckle beneath me. I could hit a wall until exhaustion defeats me.
  • Instead her eyes brighten, hypnotized by the darkness inside of mine.
  • The biggest kindergarten response pops up in my head. It's. Not. Fucking. Fair
  • And I watch it burn, right along with my thoughts
  • ''I'd f**king fight for you, Dais. You just have to let me''
  • ''You are your own anchor, Ryke. When you fail, you hurt yourself more than anyone else. Do you want to keep burning or are you going to let yourself rise?''
  • BONUS: You are your own achor. Do you want to keep burning or are you going to let yourself rise? No more dragging myself down. I'm finally ready to rise
  • ROSE, YOU SAVAGE: ''If you hurt her, I'll personally snip off your balls and hang them on the Christmas tree this year''.
  • He keeps a lot in his head, and that's partly the reason I like him. The mystery of his actions. The danger he wears in his dark eyes. 
  • She turns her head to catch the sunrise..''It's gorgeous...' It has nothing on her.
  • ''I'll get over it. Just...give me f*cking time''
  • I ping-pong from wanting to laugh or wanting to stay quiet
  • Lo and Rose have been fighting for the past ten minutes, and unfortunately Lo's go-to move is to throw popcorn at her.
  • I climb onto the f*king ledge next to her, and she stiffens at my presence, some of the hunour exiting her face. ''What?'' I snap. ''You jump, I jump.''
  • I point at her heart. ''There's something in there, and if you don't burst, it's going to f**king tear you apart.'
  • ''Explode'', I tell her, still cupping her face...''What?'' ''Let it out,'' I say. ''Scream''. 
  • ''Why are you holding back? No-one's f**king here but you and me!...Stop pretending to be fine when all you really want to do is f**king scream?!''
★ ★ ★ ★  5 stars!!
I'm definitely addicted tothis series!!

Long story short...
Would I read it again?
A thousand times, yes!
Would I recommend it?
Noooo but only because I want Ryke all to myself ;)
Would I be caught wandering (and being saved by the book guy) in this world in my dreams? 
Do you even have to wonder? Obvi 


QUESTIONS: Have you already read this? Comment below!
Who else wants to ditch the city for the mountains?
What was your fave part from this novel?
How many times are you gonna re-read this series?
☻ Which book comes after this? Lol, I can't keep up with the recommended reading order

With that, I'm gonna go figure out which novel comes next. Ciao
Here are my links : (if ya interested)
I'm even giving you my email address 

BYEEEEEEEEEEEE





No comments:

Post a Comment