Tuesday, 15 March 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Hiiii!! Okay so first it would do ya justice if you read ny review of book #1 in this series (It would also do ya justice if you just read this series!! Then you'll find out why I've been losing sleep)
Needless to say, I am going to have the pleasure in reviewing Rules of Attraction by my new Twitter  bestie, Simone Elkeles.
Let's get started !!

7137775Carlos Fuentes doesn't want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him in Boulder, Colorado. He wants to keep living on the edge, and carve his own path-just like Alex did. Unfortunately, his ties to a Mexican gang aren't easy to break, and he soon finds himself being set up by a drug lord. 

When Alex arranges for Carlos to live with his former professor and his family to keep him from being sent to jail, Carlos feels completely out of place. He's even more thrown by his strong feelings for the professor's daughter, Kiara, who is nothing like the girls he's usually drawn to. But Carlos and Kiara soon discover that in matters of the heart, the rules of attraction overpower the social differences that conspire to keep them apart.

As the danger grows for Carlos, he's shocked to discover that it's this seemingly All-American family who can save him. But is he willing to endanger their safety for a chance at the kind of life he's never even dreamed possible?


GENRE: Romance, Coming of Age/Young Adult- Definitely a novel for slightly maturer readers, Contemporary
AUTHOR: Simone Elkeles
PUBLISHERWalker Books
SOURCE: Bought, ebook
PAGE NUMBER: 368

RELEASE DATE: April 13th 2010
*Even though this is a Young Adult book, I'd recommend slightly mature readers to read it due to the premise (involving drugs and gangs), profanity and scenes of sexual nature :)

I'm going to start with a quick summary of this (heavensent) novel. 
Sooo we've got the ever so hot, Carlos Fuentes, who is the younger (but oh so much badder) brother of my first book bf, Alex (PSA: He is the protagonist in the first novel, Perfect Chemistry). He has been living in Meheco (does being like 1/12th Mexican give me the right to say it like that? Lol!) for the past two years (following the events of the first novel), but now it's time for this Fuentes to come back to the Americas to focus on schoolwork, etc and live with his bro, Alex! (And his gf Brittany!) I thought 'Yay, a heartfelt reunion between these dudes'- I mean, they were quite close in the first novel. Boy, was I wrong... So Carlos has changed- he's become a man and hasn't seen Alex in a couple of years and basically doesn't GAF (we've all been there). Buuut he does start school and this is where my new fave love story begins. Next up, we've got Kiara (I'd like to point out that I was reading it as 'Keira' for a quarter of the novel, then my older sister snuck up on me on starting one of her chapters and said 'Who's Kyra?' And I had an 'Oh, dang' moment. Not important). Kiara is me in a nutshell (or what I would be if I could ditch my phone for the outdoors. One day, I'll find the strength). She's athletic, doesn't give two sh#ts about her appearance and is downright sassy. After being those things (and I stress the 'after' because Simone Elkeles makes the effort of characterizing the character THEN revealing what's up, which ensures it does not define the character in terms of their impairment) Kiara has a slight verbal impairment- she stutters. And that makes her crazy self conscious but she helped herself get over that, to which it only comes back when she is nervous. Guess who makes her nervous? Go on, guess. Okay so let me clarify, at first she owns it (being sassy and outwitting him) but then when she falls for him she...stumbles. 
 I'm gonna stop my summary there because it's more like the review and...most of it will be in orange :/

Okay so, this novel, and I speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth when I write this, was amazing. I love Carlos, I love Kiara, I loved every character.
But aside from my crushes on the characters, I also enjoyed their development.       
Ee gee, Carlos went from this stone cold (and not just his abs) dude not giving a care in this world to someone who cared about a girl he once classed according to stereotypes (to be fair, she did, too) to someone joining the military. 
And Kaira went from being afraid- hmm, not afraid..I'd say just not speaking up for the world to hear her, to someone who did exactly that.
However, with every great masterpiece, there is a little bit of discolored paint...I would've liked to know, in detail, how Kiara got through her stuttering and what she did after school or college. 
Other than that, it was gold.

This novel was written, in true Elkeles style, in alternating POV between Carlos and Kaira. And I flippin' loved the events and storyline. The progression of their love and morals was downright fantastic and I really enjoyed that. 
Then there's the fact that my OTP, Alex and Brit, were heavily involved; ahhh....
Yeah, I really fangirl when characters form other novels come in other novels.

The living situation- of a professor (Kiara's dad who knows Alex) taking in an eighteen year old thug..I mean, I know sure as hell that my mum wouldn't allow that. But I easily overlooked this. 
And there were parts were I was slightly lost with the progression of the drug dealing part, aka the climax. 
But all in all, it was a stellar read

IT'S JUST SUCH A GOOD BOOK AND IS DEFINITELY MY NEW GO-TO BOOK. WHENEVER I'M FEELING SAD OR HAPPY OR WHATEVER. 

My favourite quotes

**If I could include the whole book here, I would. 
  • "Don't make my shitty life worse than it already is."
  • "...and just the thought of being alone right now where I don't have to put on a fake smile sounds like heaven to me". 
  • 'Carlos's door is open a crack. Tuck peers inside. ''I don't see.'' Tuck says. ''That;s 'cause I was takin' a piss,'' Carlos says from behind me. 
  • I've never met any girl who cares less about her appearance. ''Where you goin' all dressed up?'' I joke. 
  • I moan and throw my head back. ''Perpetuatin'? Perpetuatin'? Hell, Alex, our people don't even know the meanin' of that word.''
  • ''You better be careful, Kiara,'' I call out to her. ''Your personality is startin' to show.''
  • Time to change tactics. ''Want to make out?'' ''With who?'' she asks, not bothering to look up.
  • ''Can we do a rematch?'' Carlos asks. ''Like two out of three. Or three out of five?'' ''No way, Jose,'' ''My name's Carlos, not Jose,'' Carlos says, but Brandon isn't listening. 
  • As much as I rebel, I'd do anything to make her smile again.
  • It's something a boyfriend would do to a girlfriend that he's crazy about and...and...and Carlos is full of complete bullshit. I know it. He knows it. 
  • ''Fine. Homecoming. But you have to wear a dress...and heels. And I'm not talkin' those thick granny ones.''
  • '...I need to protect my heart from being broken.'
  • ''He's a looker.'' ''I know. The problem is, he knows it, too.''
  • ''I appreciate you being here.'' ''And I appreciate you wearin' that dress.''
  • And I feel like complete crap.
  • How am I going to face him in the morning? Worse, how am I going to face myself?
  • ...'I'm tempted to put something red inside the laundry so your underwear turns pink''...I shrug. ''That's okay. I don't wear underwear,'' I lie.
  • I bet I look the same as I feel: like complete shit.
  • ''I thought you didn't want to get involved.'' ''I don't. I want to numb the pain, and figure that seein' you naked right about now might help.''
  • ''Can you walk?'' ''Yeah, but please don't make me prove it right now. Maybe later. Maybe tomorrow.''
  • He's doing a great job of  trying to hide his pain, and I don't think anyone else notices, But I do.
  • The guy doesn't look like he has a care in the world, and right about now I'm jealous.
  • ''You'd be surprised how far away half dead is from fully dead, Alex. Actually, I feel like shit, but am doin' a helluva good job fakin' it.''
  • ''I'm mad at you.'' ....''Take a number and get in line, kid.''
  • ''I live in a permanent rebellious stage.''
  • ''You want to keep our relationship a secret from my parents. I don't. I want to scream to the world that we're together.''
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 5 stars!!
Long story short...
Would I read it again?
Is the sky blue?
Would I recommend it?
Definitely :)
Also, if you enjoyed Katie McGarry's novel, then you'll love this
Would I be caught wandering (and being saved by the book guy) in this world in my dreams? 
Don't even ask.


QUESTIONS:
Is Kiara and Carlos your OTP? Or are you more of a Barbie and roughed up Ken person, AKA Alex and Brittany?
Do you also want to give Mama Fuentes a huge hug for her great job of bringing up these hawt guys?
Do you look forward to the next novel? Have you already read it? What do you think?
Any other comments for this novel?
Sound off below! XD

LINKS!!!


Right! That's it from me. I shall see you next time!
Here are my links : (if ya interested)
I'm even giving you my email address (why not? #GoBigOrGoHome)

BONUS
Look!! Pretty alternate cover!

Byeee!! Love you lots and stay sweet! Muah

No comments:

Post a Comment