Saturday, 12 March 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Helllooooo!!
Welcome to Always Falling for Book Guys, wherein I fall head over heels for fictional guys, as evidently showed in this post...

This is my review of Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles!

Soo as a little backstory, in the lonely hour, I was searching books with bad guys (you know the type). Aaaand I found this little book. Little did I know it was gonna change be forever, for better, or for worse..

Goodreads summary:
4268157
Haha, the cover is so 2008!
..Whosaid that's a bad thing? XD
A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created 'perfect' life is about to unravel before her eyes. She's forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for: her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. 

Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.

In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.


GENRE: Romance, Coming of Age/Young Adult- Definitely a novel for slightly maturer readers, Contemporary
AUTHOR: Simone Elkeles
PUBLISHERWalker Childrens
SOURCE: Bought, ebook
PAGE NUMBER: 368
RELEASE DATE: December 23rd 2008

Like all great YA books, this one starts of with our main characters being assigned new seats in chemistry- alphabetically (Brittany Ellis and Alejandro 'Alex' Fuentes). Oh, and it's compulsory- as shown in  the many times it was pointed out by the coolest, strictest Chem teacher slash Cupid, Mrs Peterson. 

So Brittany is your average Queen B of the school- perfect hair, perfect skin, perfect teeth, perfect clothes, perfect friends, family, boyfriend..? 
And then Alex is, well the opposite, for lack of a better description. For the record, in my eyes, he is beyond perfection. But in the eyes of everyone at Fairfield High, he is just any smoking hot yet dodgy drug dealer and gang banger who prolly smokes..you know the type, right?

Ok, so their banter (or 'foreplay', as Brittany's ex bf calls it) is riveting and by that, I mean hilarious and slightly rated R. 
I enjoyed the overall storyline- we've got a forbidden romance (opposites really do attract!0 and the obstacles that prevent them from being together, which-I might add- are very different. Case in point: Brittany's demons involve her parents disowning her and her mother not liking her outfits, whereas my boy Alejandro's demons involved him getting beaten up blindfolded and shot. 
Potato, potahto..

This novel was written in first person, with every chapter alternating between Brittany's and Alex's POV. Also, it includes quite a lot of profanity and sexual descriptions, so maybe maturer readers are best to read it :)
It was well written, HOWEVER, however, however, there were certain parts where I felt like it was too focused on the spiciness that the scene wasn't properly set. For example, when they make up and Alex drives Brit on his motorcyle- it is raining but it appears as if they start going past first base (her top was off) right then and there! And if that were the case (hell, I root for rain kisses!) maybe Elkeles could have mentioned in Brit's POV of that scene something about the rain hitting her skin ?
I was also slightly lost with most of the Spanish (ya girl failed the language of Spain) but..
I didn't really like it when Alex straight up called her a bitch, either. That sucked. Like my man is all chivalrous and kind hearted, but his mouth needs washing out with soap ? C'mon
And it was slightly stereotypical and unrealistic, but who tf cares???
I really wanted to read all about their presentation on hand warmers, too!! *pouty, sad face*
Aside from those teeny criticisms, I enjoyed everything else. 
Oh, I almost forgot- it was also bad because my standards have zoomed further and now anyone who isn't like Alex won't make my cut (as if I have a long line. But you guys get me..I hope).

There was love, there was definitely heartbreak (which isn't cool to do with a person with a stone heard, ya know ;p). It was a beautiful, emotional rollercoaster. 

Another thing I'd like to mention is that I applaud- and thank- Ms Elkeles for including people of diverse abilities, disabilities and backgrounds in this book. I admire you for that, ma'am.

So all in all, it was-is- a marvellous read and I will definitely be reading the sequels- which are Alex's brothers' love stories!!!!!!!! Eeee! Baby Carlos and Luis growing up :')
     
Ø Now it's time for my favourite part (I'm British, in case you're wondering about the spelling), which is called, no pun intended, MY FAVOURITE QUOTES (I heart this part because I get to relive some of my fave scenes!)
  • 'I put on a hell of a show to the outside world; sometimes I even surprise myself.'
  • 'My instincts tell me to abandon the car and flee..' I just found it hilarious how at first, because of the stereotypes and assumptions, Brit was scared of Alejo.
  • ''She's mine, Don't ever forget that.'' ''Then keep a leash on her,'' I advise. ''Or she might be tempted to find a new owner.''
  • ''Most of the time her bark is worse than her bite.''
  • ''If you don't look at me, I'm gonna bleed all over the floor and need a fuckin' transfusion. Look at me, dammit.'' This dominancy stuff is hawt. 
  • ''My goal is to be numb, not dead.''
  • 'I can't keep my eyes from ogling his chiseled triceps and biceps and every other 'eps' he has..'
  • ''You play the game just like I do. You use your looks, your bod, and your brains to make sure you're always in control.''
  • 'And I allow myself to cry.'
  • 'I have what you call an offensive personality.'
  • “We're actors in our lives, pretendin' to be who we want people to think we are.” 
  • 'I confided in Alex yesterday and the sky didn't fall.'
  • 'Problem is, the bathroom pass can't help you escape life.'


  • 'It took me a damn long time to learn that I was my own enemy.'
  • ''At the time, you're numb and try to block it out.''
  • 'Right now, I itch to heal his wounds and forget my own.'
  • 'Because being with Alex takes me away from my own darkness.'
  • ''Brittany, you in there?'' Alex's voice comes through the door. ''No.'' ''Please come out.'' ''No.'' ''Then let me in.'' ''No.'' 
  • ''Just dance.'' I say quietly as I guide her arms around me and we dance. 
  • 'Feelings can't be a part of this game.' 
  • 'I wish I could change her life and take the hurt away..'
  • ''I'll stop carin' about what other people think when I'm six feet under.''
  • ''That's rule number one. Don't let them see you scared shitless.''
  • 'He cuts me off with a kiss so powerful I forgot what I was supposed to be upset about.'
  • ''What do you want to hear?'' ''Nothing. Everything.''
  • 'the lows are as low as the highs are high.'
  • ''Don't be shy with me.''
  • 'I scream at the top of my lungs.'
  • 'Unfortunately, real life can't be wrapped up with a nice little bow.'
  • 'Memories of Brittany keep me from crying out in pain.'
  • ''I suppose I'll get over it one day. It's not likely, but I can hope, can't I?''
  • ''Mujer, you own my soul.''
Me going overboard with those quotes is an understatement. 

And that's my cue to leave. Adios 

LINKS!!!



Here are my links : (if ya interested)
I'm even giving you my email address (why not? #GoBigOrGoHome)
PLEASE COMMENT BELOW OR EMAIL ME OR CONNECT WITH ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA FOR REQUESTS

BONUS
Look!! Pretty alternate covers!

Byeee!! Love you lots and stay beautiful and bookish! Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment