I'm sorry- I've suddenly lapsed into the Marvel Universe.
Right, hello there! Nylah here and I hope you're having a good one :)
Today it is my utmost honour (and birthright) to review Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick!
A teen is forced to make a fresh start after witnessing a violent crime—but love and danger find her anyway in this novel from Becca Fitzpatrick, the New York Times bestselling author of the Hush, Hush saga.
Stella Gordon is not her real name. Thunder Basin, Nebraska, is not her real home. This is not her real life.
After witnessing a lethal crime, Stella Gordon is sent to the middle of nowhere for her own safety before she testifies against the man she saw kill her mother’s drug dealer.
But Stella was about to start her senior year with the boyfriend she loves. How can she be pulled away from the only life she knows and expected to start a new one in Nebraska? Stella chafes at her protection and is rude to everyone she meets. She’s not planning on staying long, so why be friendly? Then she meets Chet Falconer and it becomes harder to keep her guard up, even as her guilt about having to lie to him grows.
As Stella starts to feel safer, the real threat to her life increases—because her enemies are actually closer than she thinks…
GENRE: Romance, Thriller, Contemporary, Fiction, Young Adult (YA)
AUTHOR: Becca Fitzpatrick
PUBLISHER: Simon & Schuster
PAGE NUMBER: 400RELEASE DATE: November 10th 2015
I'm just gonna jump right in here: I loved this book. Hell, I love it even more than my pet goldfish. It's just...ahhhh...
Ok, I'm gonna try and piece together my loss of jumbled words. Rightyo, so we have Stella, the ultimate badass with demons that is part of the Witness Protection for being involved in witnessing a murder. She left a guy behind and (get this) met another. Ooohhh. Yep, you guessed the stereotypical city-girl-goes-to-the-country. But it's way more than that.
So the novel was written in past tense, first person: Stella's POV. Let me just say it now: Becca Fitzpatrick, it was a complete priveledge to be in E/Stella's cowboy boots. She was a hoot and a half. She came across a little bit..ungrateful but then came around.
What I loved about this novel was the general events. It was not too far-fetched in terms of relatability and the scenes were set with in-depth words, but not solidly done, allowing the reader to have their own space to visualize what they wanted.
Oh, and the Hush Hush and Black Ice references were gold.
I think I endured through most of the stereotypes of the novel; Idk but stereotypes really grind my gears. But these felt natural. One thing I wasn't too keen on was that Chet (my new book boyfriend) practically always saved our otherwise badass heroine. Ain't nobody got time for knights in shining armour. Also, @ Becca Fitzpatrick WHAT HAPPENED TO DUSTY & INNY AND REED?!?!?! I neeed to now, pls make spinoffs PLEASE
Overall, this book was amazing. It was the escape I really needed (and totally worth the eye strain afterwards). I would definitely recommend this to anyone with a beating heart and a wild imagination.
★ ★ ★ ★ 4.5 stars!!Long story short...
Would I read it again?
Would I recommend it?
Would I be caught wandering (and being saved by the book guy) in this world in my dreams?
Chet is making me annoyed because I don't have him in my life! Regardless, I'm smitten
MY FAVOURTIE QUOTES
(AKA, My favourite part of reviewing)
In chronological order..
- 'We were often ships passing in the night.'
- 'I'd spend the next three months doing what I had to, and then I was out of here.'
- ..'relieved when light immeditely chased away the darkness.'
- 'I blew out some air. Time to be patient. A virtue I'd never loved, much less embraced.'
- ''If I give you the keys, are you going to slit my throat with them and dump my body in the alley?'' ''Wouldn't be smart to tell you if I was''.
- 'But if the bike got me out of the house, it was as good as a Porsche in my eyes.'
- Chet clapped me on the shoulder. ''First step's the hardest, kid.''
- ''She's built up quite a few fences, as you might have guessed/ Figures it's easier to hold the world at a distance than open herself up to ridicule''
- 'A constellation of acne'
- He shrugged. ''I appreciate that. It gets easier over time. Maybe not easier. Just more tolerable..''
- 'I wasn't the kind of girl who let a guy slip easily under my skin. I was in control here, dammit.'
- 'I felt shattered, adn I needed to collect the pieces and pull myself together'.
- 'He sat there looking frustrated and vulnerable, cutting himself for a girl who didn't exist.'
- 'The secrets I'd been running from had finally caught up with me'.
- 'Feels wrong to encourage a relationship with no hope of catching wind in its sails.'
- '..She turned me by the shoulders to face the door. ''Then go give 'em hell.'''
- 'As we stepped out, I marveled at how dark it was behind us. And how brightly the stars shone overhead. They glittered like radiant, polished gems.'
- ..'because it's easier to slap on a band-aid than to open a wound and clean it out.'
- 'Chet was right- it was impossible not to play what if.'
- ''Has she really dug a hole so deep that there's no hope of ever climbing out?''
- ''..and then when you turned me away, well, I had a long way to fall.''
- ''Have you talked to anyone about the nightmares? I've heard you cry out more than once''. ''No. I live with them.''
- ''Getting it out hurts, but it's better than holding on to the poison.''
- ''Get it all out. Tell me, then let it go.''
- ''You're in a good mood.'' ''Agree to come with me, and make it even better.''
- 'I thought of my secrets, trapped there, dashing themselves like wild birds to get out.'
- Chin up, be brave.
- 'A secret wish you kept inside, because it didn't belong in the real world.'
- ''...but she's walking close to the fire as she can without getting burned-''
- The drag of the tide released me
Right! That's it from me. I shall see you next time!
Here are my links : (if ya interested)
I'm even giving you my email address (why not? #GoBigOrGoHome)
PLEASE COMMENT BELOW OR EMAIL ME OR CONNECT WITH ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA FOR REQUESTS