Saturday, 12 September 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Made You Up by Francesca Zappia

Hello! I hope you're enjoying this Saturday..I was until my laptop kept freezing and Blogger kepts stopping and reloading when I selected my favourite font (which explains why this post is in a different font-this is the default font but it'll prolly show up as that bold one cause of my dope layout).

So today, true to my own word, I'm going to be reviewing Made You Up by Francesca Zappia. 'True to my word' because I have a summer reading list that needs to be read and this novel was on it.
So let's gooooo!!

Goodreads cover + blurb
17661416Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook, and Liar.

Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and delusion. Armed with a take-no-prisoners attitude, her camera, a Magic 8-Ball, and her only ally (her little sister), Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She’s pretty optimistic about her chances until classes begin, and she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She’s not prepared for normal.

Funny, provoking, and ultimately moving, this debut novel featuring the quintessential unreliable narrator will have readers turning the pages and trying to figure out what is real and what is made up.

GENRE: Romance, Psychology, Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
AUTHOR: Francesca Zappia
PUBLISHER: Greenwillow Books
SOURCE: Bought, ebook
PAGE NUMBER: 428
RELEASE DATE: May 19th 2015
This novel was unlike anything I have ever read.
^Take that as you may.

Just kidding, take it in a positive sense cause this was a phenomenal rollercoaster and mind-boggling piece of literature.
Okay, so it follows this girl called Alex who suffers from schizophrenia and can't really tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

“Sometimes I think people take reality for granted.”  
One of the things, or people, she hallucinates (or does she?) is a dude. And this dude is cool in that he speaks in science, like the proper Latin words for everything and this dude is named Miles.
And then she experiences normal teenage events..or does she? (If my suspense is annoying you, check out the links below ↓)



Anyways, to continue the review, it is an amazing read that really made me have a different outlook on mental health- I was actually in the shoes of the character that suffered from this and it was really eye-opening. I really enjoyed the whole storyline as a whole and the characters were fun and totes relatable in their personalities and I guess, life events, too.

Contrary to what you may think, I'm not gonna answer the question ''Did Alex make everything (i.e. Miles) up? Even though I really, really, really wanna. But I'm not, I'm not.

Moving on! Before I spill the beans.

So it's written in first person, Alex's POV, so we actually have zero idea if something is fantasy or reality. Ish.
I love this suspense! Muhahaha

A few of my fave quotes:
  • “People say teenagers think they're immortal, and I agree with that. But I think there's a difference between thinking you're immortal and knowing you can survive. Thinking you're immortal leads to arrogance, thinking you deserve the best. Surviving means having the worst thrown at you and being able to continue on despite that.
  • “Everyone's interesting if you stare at them long enough.”
  • "And Richter isn't a bad person, and I'm not a bad person. We're just people, and people sometimes do stupid things.”     
  • ''Mom said I shouldn't drink after someone else. It's unsanitary.'' ''But it's chocolate,'' I replied.
  • “What you loved as a child, you will love forever.”  
  • “Mile's fingers pressed into the small of my back. "Basorexia," he mumbled.
    "Gesundheit."
    He laughed. "It's an overwhelming desire to kiss."
  • “Over time, the real remained in the photo while the hallucinations faded away.
About Francesca Zappia
YA writer represented by Louise Fury of the Bent Agency. My debut, MADE YOU UP, will be out from Greenwillow/HarperCollins on May 19th, 2015. I like writing, reading, drawing, anime, playing way too much Pokemon, and other things.

I'm on Twitter @ChessieZappia, Tumblr (http://exeuntstormtroopers.tumblr.com), Instagram @ChessieZappia, Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/francescaza...), and on my website, www.francescazappia.com.

*PSA: It's really fun typing 'Francesca' on a keyboard. Try it, I'm serious. Also, 'Zappia' is a rad name.
★ ★ ★ ★  4 stars!!
Long story short...
Would I read it again?
Totally!
Would I recommend it?
Yepp! 
Would I be caught wandering (and being saved by the book guy) in this world in my dreams? 
 ..Kinda...


That's it from me. 'Tis been a pleasure. I hope to see you next time.

Here are my links : (if ya interested)
Google+
Facebook
Twitter? 
WeHeartIt
Pinterest
Goodreads 

Tumblr
I'm even giving you my email address (why not? #GoBigOrGoHome)
PLEASE COMMENT BELOW OR EMAIL ME OR CONNECT WITH ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA FOR REQUESTS- I need a looonnnggg list for summer reading #BloggerProbs ;)

That's it from me- Stay Beautiful and Bookish. Ttyl

See you next time!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment