Wednesday, 19 August 2015

BOOK REVIEW: The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West

Hey guys! Hope you're enjoying Wednesday- I certainly am! Proof:
Anyways, today I'm going to be reviewing The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West. I read this in regards to my previous post, which listed all the books on my TBR list for summer!
Let's get into it!

Goodreads blurb + cover:

18660447
That cover 'tho!! ♥_♥
When Gia Montgomery's boyfriend, Bradley, dumps her in the parking lot of her high school prom, she has to think fast. After all, she'd been telling her friends about him for months now. This was supposed to be the night she proved he existed. So when she sees a cute guy waiting to pick up his sister, she enlists his help. The task is simple: be her fill-in boyfriend—two hours, zero commitment, a few white lies. After that, she can win back the real Bradley.

The problem is that days after prom, it's not the real Bradley she's thinking about, but the stand-in. The one whose name she doesn't even know. But tracking him down doesn't mean they're done faking a relationship. Gia owes him a favor and his sister intends to see that he collects: his ex-girlfriend's graduation party—three hours, zero commitment, a few white lies.

Just when Gia begins to wonder if she could turn her fake boyfriend into a real one, Bradley comes waltzing back into her life, exposing her lie, and threatening to destroy her friendships and her new-found relationship.

GENRE: Romance, Contemporary, Sci-Fi, Young Adult
AUTHOR: Kasie West 
PUBLISHER: Harper Collins
SOURCE: Bought, ebook
PAGE NUMBER: 352
RELEASE DATE: May 5th 2015
Teeny backstory: I have read a previously read some of Kasie West's Pivot Point. I loved it but..I'm too embarrassed to say why I only read about three quarters of it..
Fine I'll tell you: I lost my paperback copy -_- AND I'm pretty sure there's a galactic black hole in my room where things go missing.

This book was, in a word...AMAZING!
It follows the popular girl at school called Gia (you know the type: perfect family, older brother, clique of her popular friends) who attends prom but her date, Bradley (a college guy) dumps her. Why? Because he says she's selfish and only cares about how she looks to her friends, which is..kinda true. Anyways, I don't wanna retell the story, but she met this dude in the parking lot and asked him to pretend to be Bradley. You may or may not be thinking, wth? BUT she has this frenemy called Jules- you know the type- who's evil and constantly out for her but Gia's other friends don't see the problem with Jules.

So the story was overall awesome and moved at the same pace- see I thought, after prom, it would go downhill because how was Kasie West gonna make them meet when they went to different schools? But, much to my relief and happiness, it turned out well!

BTW/FYI→ It was written in first person (Gia's) and past tense.

One of the many splendid things I enjoyed about this novel was that the kiss- and relationship, for that matter- between Gia and...okay, I'm gonna call the male protagonist 'Fill-In Bradley' because for real, the hype built up for the reveal of his name had me on the edge of my seat (btw, it was worth it!). The kiss/relationship between Gia and Fill-In Bradley was not forced, which I loved and it happened naturally and it was phenomenal.

One of the only things I didn't really like about this novel was the stereotypes. If you're a regular here (I heart you!), you know that I kinda mention stereotypes often. Stereotypes work with this novel but to an extent. For example, Gia having busy parents and/or actually saying to someone in her year at school 'Do I know you?' What I didn't like was that Bec (Fill-In Bradley's sister) was essentially goth and her and her friends were teased- I kinda saw that coming. And Fill-In Bradley wore glasses and this was received in a surprised manner by Jules because Gia doesn't normally go for glasses guys ?! That part itched me a bit, but I guess we can blame society for that one. Also, he had that stereotypical 'geeky' appearance: drama major, longish hair, those types of T-shirts..

But the overall story was fun, light and totally a-mazing so it makes up for those teeny cons.

Long story short...
Would I read it again?
YASS!!
Would I recommend it?
Yepp! Definitely. You, read it now, links below~!
Would I be caught wandering (and being saved by the book guy) in this world in my dreams? 
Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes!!
 

~Buy it, buy it, buy it~
Characters
Gia~ Gia was a really cool main character and I enjoyed being in her shoes. Contrary to my earlier thoughts, I actually never got annoyed by her and her 'rich girl' attitude ('cause she wasn't that bad!)
Fill-In Bradley~ Was SUCH A COOL GUY! I'm even thinking of comparing him to Augustus Waters..
I just loved his witty comebacks and OMG I loved when he remembered stuff Gia said and used them. 
Bec~ Bec was a really rad character. She's probably my fave- she played Cupid and IDK her sayings were just amazing. E.g..
''What are we angry about again?'' ''My brother.'' She raised her fist in the air. ''Totally with you. Carry on.'' ''So he called this morning, not to apologize but to tell me I wasn't supposed to be at the stupid ceremony.'' ''He did not.'' ''He did.'' ''That jerk''
 Claire~ She was Gia's BFF whom will be roommates with Gia in college. Until there is a...disagreement between them. She was an okay character
Laney &...I for the life of me cannot remember the other's name~ Were not very significant. I feel like they had no impact on the storyline but I feel like they were there to show how they follow the leader ?
Bradley~ The real Bradley seemed to show his true colours afterwards and they were not very nice.
Drew~ Drew was Gia's brother and I couldn't figure him out..did he care or not? Idk, he was hot and cold and had a huuggee impact on the climax.
MY FAVOURITE QUOTES
*These are not ALL of my fave quotes because I forgot to highlight throughout reading :/ What can I say? Too engulfed in reading lol :)
  • 'They kept everything inside. I kept everything inside. ''Scream''.
  • “Chin up. There are other fish in the sea. It's a big ocean. Sometimes we need to catch and release a few before we find the keeper.”  
  • I took a deep breath and screamed. She smiled. ''You have a lot of work to do but that was a good start. Now let's scream at your brother.''
  • “We rarely find a depth by looking inside of ourselves for it. Depth is found in what we can learn from the people and things around us. Everyone, everything, has a story, Gia. When you learn those stories, you learn experiences that fill you up, that expand your understanding. You add layers to your soul.”
  • “How is selfworth measured today? By the amount of likes a post gets, by how many friends we collect, by how many retweets we accumulate? Do we even know what we really think until we post our thoughts online and let others tell us if they are worthy?”  I totally got West's point in this point of the story so kudos :D
  • ''Do you need me to drive to UCLA and beat him up?'' I raised my eyebrows. ''You're right, he's way too big for me. I'll have your brother do it.''
★★★★ ☆
4 stars out of 5
Kasie WestI write YA. I eat Junior Mints. Sometimes I go crazy and do both at the same time. My novels, published through Harper Teen are: PIVOT POINT and its sequel SPLIT SECOND. And my contemporary novels: THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, ON THE FENCE, and THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND. My agent is the talented and funny Michelle Wolfson.
Twitter                                                                                                 Goodreads
Here are my links : (if ya interested)
Google+
Facebook
Twitter? 
WeHeartIt
Pinterest
Goodreads
I'm even giving you my email address (why not? #GoBigOrGoHome)
PLEASE COMMENT BELOW OR EMAIL ME OR CONNECT WITH ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA FOR REQUESTS- I need a looonnnggg list for summer reading #BloggerProbs ;)

That's it from me- Stay Beautiful and Bookish. Ttyl
 



No comments:

Post a Comment