Saturday, 6 June 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Torment by Lauren Kate

Hello Beautiful Bookish person!! You're (maybe) here for two reasons:
  1. You want to read a review of Lauren Kate's Torment (#duh)
  2. Or you clicked a wrong link :3 But you're here now! So stay. Please
If you are 2, then my friend, welcome to your new internet nook. Join us *creepy smile, alien emoji*
If you're a 1, then heyyy buddy, say hello to our newbies!
This didn't go as smooth as I wanted it to be, so let's just get into the review)

Goodreads summary + Cover:
How many lives do you need to live before you find someone worth dying for?


In the aftermath of what happened at Sword & Cross, Luce has been hidden away by her cursed angelic boyfriend, Daniel, in a new school filled with Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. Daniel promises she will be safe here, protected from those who would kill her. At the school Luce discovers what the Shadows that have followed her all her life mean – and how to manipulate them to see into her other lives. Yet the more Luce learns about herself, the more she realizes that the past is her only key to unlocking her future . . . and that Daniel hasn't told her everything. What if his version of the past isn't actually the way things happened . . . what if Luce was really meant to be with someone else?

The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series...where love never dies.

GENRE: Romance, Young Adult (YA), Fantasy?
AUTHOR: Lauren Kate
PUBLISHER: Penguin
SOURCE: Paperback! Bought 

PAGE NUMBER: 452
RELEASE DATE: September 28th 2010

It's time for homegirl to tell her backstory on this novel. Here we go (get comfy)
I was in English class like three or four years (so when I was 14ish?) and the teacher told us to pull out a book for ten minutes of silent reading. I had to excuse myself to quickly run to the library to grab a book. When I came back I saw that this girl on my table was reading this book with a gorgeous cover. And she looked so intrigued in it that I was disappointed in myself. I mean I won a certficiate in year 2 for the best reader at the highest level..but somewhere along my somewhat sad childhood (sniff) I didn't read.
Anyways, the book that the girl had was not Torment, but I went to the supermarket with my mum and set my eyes on Torment. And I was captivated by the cover and I dove right in...until I realised that it was the sequel to a book that I hadn''t even read. 

Okay, so yes, this was my first YA book. And it's battered and beautiful in my bookshelf. And it's one of those books that I can read whenever, wherever, on any page- like you can just dive right in at any moment. And that is the excellency of Lauren Kate's writing. (It's written in Luce's POV)


There's one teeny spoiler that I couldn't keep to myself below. It's the big black line. Just highlight over it to view it. At your own risk...

Torment is the second novel in the Fallen series, revolving around the love triangle (no, don't sigh) between Luce, my bae Daniel and my other bad bae Cam. Luce is sent from her reform school in #1 to...another reform school. But the teachers at this school know all about angels and co.- hell, they are angels and demons (idk why I'm speaking in plural when it's supposed to be singular).
Anyways, our girl Luce has a super cool roommate called Shelby and she's got a rebellious-loner vibe going on and convinces Luce to CUT AND DYE HER HAIR (blonde). And Daniel's reaction was gold (so unfortunately I cannot find the quote but when you read it-and you will-you'll laugh and think of that attempted funny girl from that blog). It turns out that...Shelby and Daniel had a one night stand :o
Oh and Miles...sweet, sweet Miles- he has a crush on the already-taken Luce! I mean, Miles? I'm available (yes, people who've already read it, I know who he ends up with).

So the novel is written according to how many days are left of this truce between Cam (baddy) and Daniel (goody). That's appealingly interesting, if I think about it. 

Ooohhhhh and the Thanksgiving dinner where DANIEL GRIGORI PLAYS FOOTSIE WITH LUCINDA PRICE AT HER MUM AND DAD'S HOUSE IS BEAUTIFUL. I can't...

**I'm aware I'm just blabbing so let me get straight to the point...

Long story short...
Would I read it again?
Sister, please. You don't even need to ask (Yes, if that wasn't clear)
Would I recommend it?
Yepp!
Would I be caught wandering (and being saved by the book guy) in this world in my dreams? 
 Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes!!


It's a very good book and you need to read the first novel (obvs) and you need to know: It's going to be made into a movie!!

(Some of) My favourite quotes
  • "I will always catch you when you fall.”
  • “Sometimes beautiful things come into our lives out of nowhere. 
  • “Would he find her?
    Without question.
    Would he save her?
    Always.” 
  • “Loneliness in a crowd of people was the worst kind of loneliness, but she couldn't help it.” 
  • “I know nothing. I know no one. I’m lonely. Every time I see you, you’ve put up some new wall, and you never let me in.”
  • “He shone so bright, the sun could have borrowed light from him.”
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 4.7 stars!!

Questions..
..Are you Team Cam or Team Daniel?
..Is Jeremy Irvine (Daniel in the film) hot or hotter??
..Do you prefer Shelby or Molly?
..CAN I PARTICIPATE IN CELEBRATING THANKSGIVING (whatever that it- please explain below #British) IN THE PRICE HOUSEHOLD WITH ANGELS AND DEMONS?!

That's it from me! Come back next time!

Here are my links : (if ya interested)
Google+
Facebook
Twitter? 
WeHeartIt
Pinterest
Goodreads
I'm even giving you my email address (why not? #GoBigOrGoHome)
PLEASE COMMENT BELOW OR EMAIL ME OR CONNECT WITH ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA FOR REQUESTS- I need a looonnnggg list for summer reading #BloggerProbs ;)

Love y'all & see you next time- byeeee :D

No comments:

Post a Comment