Wednesday, 17 June 2015

BOOK REVIEW: The Heir by Kiera Cass

Greetings!
Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.
[From Goodreads]

Amazing. In a word, this novel was amazing. There'll be no formal introduction for this post, for all those regulars wondering, as I need to address the feels straight up- no sugar coating. 

If you're unaware of my undying yet shameless love for this series, then click herehere, here, here, and here. Take your time; I'll be waiting right here :)

This epic novel followed badass Eadlyn (eed-lin) Shreave, the product of my bae Maxon Schreave with my homie America Singer. And omg moment of silence for the mini-Maxons: Ahren, Osten and Kaden. Eadlyn for sure has some America attributes what with her being VERY stubborn. The badassery of Ms Schreave begun when the Selected that she didn't want past like day two were excused with just the flick of her finger. 
''Blakely, isn't it?'' ''Ye-'' His voice squeaked and he started again. ''Yes, Your Highness.'' ''When we met, you couldn't stop staring at my breasts.'' His face went pale, as if he seriously thought he was so subtle no one would notice. ''Make sure you get an equally satisfactory look at my backside as you leave.'' 
At first, Eadlyn was sliiiightly annoying but I could deal with her because I saw parts of myself in her =) Then, to further persuade me to chill with Eadlyn and her killer thoughts, this happened:
Who's not gonna listen to Queen Kiera Cass??

Before we go in too deep, let me contradict the blurb on the back of my own:
Pardon the bad picture quality but it says something along the lines of 'Eadlyn is ready to find her own love in the Selection'. Ohhhh, honey could you be more wrong? Eady is defo not ready and is in fact only participating to keep the rebellious Illeans (?) at bay. 

I really enjoyed Eadlyn's character. So many people- myself included, but only at the beginning- wanted her to be a symmetrical copy of the America we all know and love and ~SPOILER ALERT~ are praying for with our dear lives

The events! Dude, the events in this novel knocked those from the Selection out of the window!!(Is that even the expression?? :/) They were magical. We've got...
  • EADLYN COOKING WITH HENRI! She'd never been in the kitchen before then annndddd Henri is a chef in his own right
  • THE BASEBALL GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Compare it to Twilight all you want, but the baseball game between half of the Selected, Eadlyn and MAXON AND AMERICA (wherein Maxon struck out, bless him) was GOLD
  • THE TALENT SHOW! The other half of the Selected were being goofy and adorable whilst trying to please Eadlyn and *shocker* it worked. “Welcome to the first ever Selection Variety Show, starring a bunch of losers competing for your attention.” 
  • The end chapter- more specifically, that event- that thing that happened, that thing that I am in denial about. No, it wasn't pleasant to read or to imagine in my tangled maze/mess of a mind but it was a 'make or break' moment for Princess Eadlyn Schreave.
Moreover on the point above, the ending was fierce, it showed a change to our heroine, but I was expecting more unfortunately. Eadlyn did change for the better but we STILL DON'T KNOW WHO SHE EVEN REMOTELY LIKES, aside from the obvi: Kile Woodwork (yeh, Marlee's son #StarcrossedOrWhat), Henri and his translator- who is not a part of the Selection- Eric/Eikko (btw is it pronounced Echo?? Like there was no Elite (is there a male pronoun for the Elite???)
Also, ashamedly, I don't even know many any of the names or personalities of the Selected other than Kile, Leeland and Henri...and there's 35/- of them.

Aside from those  mishaps, you'd be a fool not to applaud Cass for getting so much drama, fun and actual content into one book, stuff she wrote that spanned out in three books. 
With only one more Selection novel left, I'm curious to see how Eadlyn, the ice princess, will melt. 

OML and for you Maxerica fans (join me), let's rejoice at the fact that THEY ARE STILL GOING STRONG! So much so that Maxon let America redecorate his room, A.K.A. the only place where he felt everything was his. #DefinitionOfLove

This book was written in Eadlyn's POV and her thoughts are something else...
It was a pleasure to be in her Cinderella shoes ;]

Let's talk #Keadlyn 
Okay, so contrary to what I originally thought, Eadlyn did allow herself to open to a few (and I stress 'few') guys. One is particular- that I am rooting for- is the oh, so adorably hot and starcrossed brother-sister hatred turned spicy romance between Eadlyn Schreave and Kile Woodwork. 
So it started out as a publicity stunted make out sesh that turned into...more passionate make out sessions. I SHIP IT HARD!

Comment below telling me which suitor you'd like Eadlyn to be with..and/or which one YOU'D like to be with! :p

One thing(s) that is important and needs to be addressed is Sexism/Feminism/Stereotypes. The heroine in this novel was a very admirably independent young woman. She is tough and only breaks down behind closed doors and thinks she doesn't need a man. Then, she's almost attacked by one of her suitors. Which deeply contrasts to Maxon not being attacked by any of his Selected girls. Furthermore, Eadlyn is saved by a BOY...but I feel like even a maiden GIRL would've have saved her, anyone when in that situation. 
So, pardon the pun, but this novel downplays the 'knight in shining armour coming to save you'.
PROPS TO HER TWIN BRO AHREN- 'Stop holding everyone at bay, Eadlyn. You can be brave and still be femimine. You can lead and still love flowers. Most important, you can be queen and still be a bride.' 
And the time Ahren punched the guy for almost trying to harm Eadlyn. 
These thoughts came to light when I saw a Tumblr post by Kiera Cass (which took me AGGGGES TO FIND), addressing this very thing. 
This book, I feel, empowers women.
But then I think 'Nylah, GTF a life and stop over thinking and over analysing this work of fiction'. #IAmMyOwnWorstEnemy -_______-

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES
  • ''It's complicated, Kile.'' ''I'm a very intelligents person. Explain.''
  • ''Kile Woodwork, do you want to kiss me?'' He let out a whistle. ''Not shy at all, are you?''
  • Henri really wants it, doesn't he?'' Erik shook his head. ''There is no 'it'. He wants you.''
  • I held it in, keeping the brave face I'd always been taught to have. No one could know how much that hurt.
  • ''I don't want to think. Just kiss me.''
  • ''...words are weapons. They are all you need.''
  •  I only have one heart, and I'm saving it.
★ ★ ★ ★  4 stars!!
Long story short...
Would I read it again?
Totally!
Would I recommend it?
Yepp! 
Would I be caught wandering (and being saved by the book guy) in this world in my dreams? 
 Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes!!


That's it from me- see you next time!! :D Don't forget to comment below telling me which suitor you'd like Eadlyn to be with..and/or which one YOU'D like to be with :)

Here are my links : (if ya interested)
Google+
Facebook
Twitter? 
WeHeartIt
Pinterest
Goodreads
I'm even giving you my email address (why not? #GoBigOrGoHome)
PLEASE COMMENT BELOW OR EMAIL ME OR CONNECT WITH ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA FOR REQUESTS- I need a looonnnggg list for summer reading #BloggerProbs ;)

Byeee!!! :D XOXO
Stay Beautiful and Bookish,

2 comments:

  1. Who do you ship Eadlyn with??

    ■ I'm Keadlyn (Kile and Eadlyn) all the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha so shipping Kile and her too, just because of that whistle (when she asked about the kiss thing) :3 Falling hard for stubborn characters and whistling guys :D well I kinda need to read this book Great review by the way! you totally rule!

    ReplyDelete