Sunday, 14 June 2015

ARC BOOK REVIEW: Bridesmaid Blues by Boone Brux

Hey guys!! Guess whose just read their first New Adult novel? Me!!! And it was EPIC! And it was an ARC.
I'm going to be reviewing Bridesmaid Blues by Boone Brux. Woaahhh at that alliteration! Let's get started! 

Goodreads summary + cover:
25641197Maid-of-Honor Dani Brown can handle anything that comes her way when it comes to her best friend’s wedding. That is, until the bride asks for a huge favor—Dani needs to distract the best man, who happens to be Dani's ex. The ex she has fantasized dismembering for a year now. The ex she’ll have to suck it up and play nice with if this wedding is to go off without a hitch.

Businessman Jamie Kingsland is back in Seattle for a wedding. There’s just one problem – the maid of honor wants him dead. Except she doesn’t. Even though he knows he broke her heart last year when things got too serious and he panicked and left, she’s being way too nice about it now. And it scares him.

Something is up with his favorite bridesmaid, and he’s determined to find out what…
 


GENRE: Romance, New Adult (NA), 
AUTHOR: Boone Brux
PUBLISHER: Entangled Lovestruck
SOURCE: eARC, NetGalley

PAGE NUMBER: Not sure :/ Sowwy!
RELEASE DATE: June 30th 2015

I recieved this ARC in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley/the publisher (Entangled)
So this novel was an amazing, light yet heavy (and steamy!) read. It revolves around Dani, who is a book editor (#BestJobEver) and the maid of honor of her bestie Roxy's wedding with Kyle. Kyle's bestie is a bad boy (who rides a motorcycle- need I say more :D) called Jamie...who just so happens to be Dani's ex. What's more is that because of Jamie's commitment issues (which is what broke up him and Dani) Roxy asks Dani to keep him away from Kyle until the wedding. Then, after resisting multiple times (good for you, girl!), they agree to be...friends with benefits.

Yes, this novel is somewhat stereotypical, but hey! We could all do with some genuine lovey-doveyness from time to time. And, straight-up, it was a really good book! And it ended too soon for my liking (is there going to be a sequel?). 

My new OTP (..perhaps Jani or Damie- let me know in the comments) are SO CUTE! I love them. It's like unrequited love and skinny love and then just BOOM! they're hooking up..in great detail too- Bravo for the vividness, Ms Boone. Like dude, they do it on the hood of a car and in the private bathroom of their friend's wedding rehearsal...amongst other places ;)
They go to a tour of Seattle (their hometown) and Dani scares him then he scares her. If that's not enough, HE CONSTANTLY BUYS HER FOOD AND COMPLIMENTS HER AND IT IS AMAZING AND I'M JUST HERE DYING FROM LONELINESS. 

A con that I must point out are that it wasn't always clear when the actual wedding was as there were so many rehearsals! So there was a slight lack of clarity there (although I genuinely guessed that it was at the end lol). And wherever Dani and Jamie went, his parents would just pop up and I found myself thinking Jeez, how small is this town?
Also, and this may or may not be a con, but we actually didn't get clear descriptions of what Dani and Jamie. Everyone else, yes. But the most we got from these two were that Dani had tan skin. Was her hair long? Did Jamie have a beard? Maybe I'm just being picky or overly dependent on full-length descriptions of the protagonists. This is, however, quite good as it allows the mind to wander and wonder further...which I think is great.

Bottom line is that if you enjoy the good girl (who hasn't been caught, ammirite? lol) and a bad boy and exes and steamy sex and AMAZINGLY WITTY FORE-PLAY then this is your type of novel. 

It was written in third person, following both Jamie and Dani but mainly Dani. I'll admit that I sometimes wished it was written in first person, dual POVs but that was probably due to personal preference and the fact that many books I read are in first person, so this is not a fault of the novel.
The use of words was immaculate- I found myself constantly highlighting a word to see the meaning (and I got an A in English! LOL).
Oh, and that cover..AMAZING
There is a slight profanity issue...not necessarily swear words (you've got the occasional sh*t)- it's mainly dirty words, so that's something to consider. 

I really enjoyed the dynamic. Like it was about a group (ageless) friends who had each other to lean on and it was amazing. I feel like, as lonely as this sounds, that I can return home to Seattle through these pages whenever I'm alone or sad and if I need to see Jamie ;)

★ ★ ★ ★  4 stars!!

Long story short...
Would I read it again?
Totally!
Would I recommend it?
Yepp! To anyone with a heart ;)
Would I be caught wandering (and being saved by the book guy) in this world in my dreams? 
 Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes!!

Overall, this was a fabulous read and Jamie Kingsland is my most mature book boyfriend. Welcome to the Nylah ship, Jamie! Dani, we're a bit crowded, sorry.


About the author
Boone is a bestselling author in both fantasy and series romance. She began writing in an attempt to ward of the slow decomposition of her mind while being an at-home-mom of twin toddlers. It soon became clear that storytelling was her true calling.
Her books range from epic fantasy, full of hot heroes and demons, to humorous urban fantasy, where hockey moms are grim reapers and Greek gods live next door. Though she loves writing romance, Boone prefers stories where she gets to blow something up or kill somebody.
She calls Alaska home and lives there with her husband, daughters, rescue dog, Oreo, and Velma Underfoot, a black cat who rules the house.



Characters

Dani is our main gal. Jamie breaking up with her shattered her but generally, she was a good protagonist and I enjoyed her tale :)
Jamie is the bad boy with commitment issues. He was a joy and a half! BOYS LEARN FROM HIM. He was mischievous and rode a motorbike...AKA my kind of guy
Roxy was a babe. She's Dani's bestie and the bride to be. Let's call her the Fairy Godmother...
Kyle was..nice. But I feel like we didn't hear his voice or see his spine (metaphorically, of course). 
Price and Linc were hard for me to distinguish. I know one was Joya's crush and the other was the drunk flirt.
Joya is Kyle's sister and very cheerful.
Kinni. Again, I couldn't really remember many of her traits.
Jamie's parent's were horrible, separated and stereotypical...but joyous to read.
Sonja. Sonja, Sonja, Sonja. She was the ghost of Jamie's past who was menacing and horrible and a Barbie lookalike lol. 

My favourite quotes
*Only some- wouldn't want to ruin it for you..although I think I went overboard ;)
  • He acted as if wedding were a plague that could be caught. Jerk.
  • No. Your heart can't take it. Jamie bad.
  • Murdering her best friend had been added to her to-do list.
  • Yeah, she was definitely going to murder the bride. 
  • ''What's going on? You're using your cartoon princess voice again.''
  • ''Yeah, sure, I'm great.'' Yup, that was her mantra, and she was sticking to it. But she wasn't. 
  • He's forgotten how being around her was like being in the eye of a hurricane.
  • ''If it helps- you were.'' She lowered her hand and shook her head. ''Were what?'' ''Good in bed.''
  • Love was a lie, happy endings a fantasy.
  • Her stomach erupted with a protest of hunger. ''We're all finished here,'' Adam said. ''Good thing.'' Jamie pivoted to face her. ''I think I need to feed her.''
  • ''Shit.'' The bell tinkled when the door opened, and she glanced over. Shit was right. 
  • Food: it was like a balm for the soul- and cushion for her thighs if she wasn't careful.
  • ''Scared?'' ''Cautious.'' He took the flashlight from her. ''I'm never scared.'' What a load of crap. The boy was terrified of commitment.
  • ''Hot.'' Kinni fanned herself. ''So hot,'' Roxy added. ''So gay,'' Joya corrected. ''Totally gay,'' Dani agreed.
  • ...her body was wideawake. It was her spirit that was exhausted.
  • ''Ifyou don't want to lose her again, I suggest you grow a set of balls, tell your daddy to piss off, and go win back the only woman who has really ever loved you, and-'' She pointed her finger to the ceiling like some kind of evangelist. ''Who you love, too, idiot.''
  • ''I want to be the shoulder you hide your face against during a horror movie''...''And the rock that protects the punishing waves of life.''

Hugggeeee thanks to YOU for sticking with me to all the way down here- you rock! I hope you enjoyed my review and if you're interested in Bridesmaid Blues then here are some links to preorder it!
Amazon
Barnes and Noble Also, huge thanks to Entangled and Ellie McMahon for providing me with this ARC and for trusting me with my Advanced Reader's Copy :)

Here are my links : (if ya interested)
Google+
Facebook
Twitter? 
WeHeartIt
Pinterest
Goodreads
I'm even giving you my email address (why not? #GoBigOrGoHome)
PLEASE COMMENT BELOW OR EMAIL ME OR CONNECT WITH ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA FOR REQUESTS- I need a looonnnggg list for summer reading #BloggerProbs ;)

Byeee!!! :D XOXO
Stay Beautiful and Bookish,

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great and entertaining review! :)

    ReplyDelete