Friday, 20 March 2015

BOOK REVIEW: I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson || GUEST POST!!

Hello everyone! Thanks so much for reading :)
Today's post (which is long overdue- sorry about that BTW; blame technical difficulties -_-) is a book review by my Swedish homegirl, Kitty C of I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson.
Let's get into it! :D


Heey everyone! Today is my brother's birthday, so I was thinking about a lovely book that I read recently. It is sooo good, and if you have siblings then you will (in a way) understand this book and the hate/love the main characters have for each other. Hold on, more about this later!

I'm talking about this great great book; I'll Give You The Sun, a contemporary novel by Jandy Nelson.

Goodreads summary: 
A brilliant, luminous story of first love, family, loss, and betrayal for fans of John Green, David Levithan, and Rainbow Rowell Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

Advice!!!! This is one of those books that I advise you to jump into… head first. (With words: I recommend you to read this book without knowing anything about it). It is a really really fun and interesting book to discover on your own. But of course, I will not spoil you, except for some hilarious parts in the book that I just have to share with you :)

GENRE: Young Adult (YA), Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction 
AUTHOR: Jandy Nelson 
PUBLISHER: Dial Books (Penguin Group) 
SOURCE: Hardcover, bought 
PAGE NUMBER: 371 
RELEASE DATE: September 16th, 2014

About the author
Jandy Nelson received a BA from Cornell, an MFA from Brown in poetry, and another MFA from Vermont College in writing for children and young adults. A literary agent for many years, she is also a published poet. The Sky Is Everywhere is her first novel. Jandy lives in San Francisco.www.jandynelson.com, www.theskyiseverywhere.com

When I first saw the book cover I was like:
*Gasp! The cover is so colorful and has the word “sun” in its title… BUY IT!!
Then I started this book, and I really didn't know what to expect. The beginning of this book is so slow, no hate though. I didn't expect anything at all, and it's better than I ever thought it would be... all these non-fiction (neither fantasy or sci-fi) books starts kinda slow.

The novel is told from two points of view, Noah's point is told in the past, and Jude's POV is told in the present.

Anyway this story is about two twins, Noah and Jude. A boy and a girl who are very different from each other, but they share one thing in common; the art. In a way they both love it, just in different ways. Jude is more into statues, while Noah is into sketches and drawings.
Noah and Jude's mother is treating them equally, until one day, and that day changed everything. Jude began to hang out with `cool kids´ and called her brother these bad names, and yeah she changed. Noah met the cutest boy ever (Brian) and they became friends.
I like their friend/relationship soooo much, they are like discovering the galaxy together. They play and run together. They adventure together and hang out together, they watch the stars together. It is so sweet : ')

There is a part in this book where I be like: yes yes I totally understand you! (Mostly about the saving-your-brother-who-is-jumping-from-a-cliff part. I would totally do that. Haven't happened though, but when you are close to your brother(s) and they jump, then why not join their miserable attempt to fly? I would save my brothers over and over again). Because Jude ''saved'' her brother when he jumped. No matter what had happened in the past, or will happen in the future, you just will save your brother. You would not even think twice about it. Because he is your friend and when nobody saves you, he will always save you.
Some years later they switch places, Jude is the lonely one, the one who loves art. And Noah becomes this brave guy. Why? Uh here comes the ''I can't tell you part…'' because
you have to read it and find out yourself. But, Jude becomes obsessed with art and statue making. Along the way, she meets a guy. Strange, unusual, weird , and a kind guy…
Okay I know I am making the story weird, but it is really good!

Characters:
Noah (young): Loves art! Like really, you always see him with a sketchbook. He's scared but happy?I think he is… He doesn't have friends, maybe because he's shy. He and Brian make the best friends! But god he thinks too much… I mean, I get the feeling like he's drooling when he make those comments about the person he's in love with.
Jude (young): She was brave and took every risk there was to take. She really wanted to be with the cool and YOLO-people, so she became one of them, but she also became a bitch… especially to Noah, and her mother.
Brian: Make these amazing adventures with Noah. He licks his lips, and that is hot ;) He likes space and stars. I would like to hang out with him and adventure in the night and watch the stars with him and just talk and laugh. Please, adventure and to talk is the best thing ever!
English guy (Oscar): He is kind, and got some extraordinary and pretty eyes, happy and kind. I love his conversations, they are hilarious :) He is cool, with a 'bad' past. But hey who doesn't?
Mother: Wow, she's like the power source in the house. Without her, everyone loses hope, because everyone loves her.

My favorite Quotes/Sentences:
  • “I love you,” I say to him, only it comes out, “Hey.” “So damn much,” he says back, only it comes out, “Dude.” He still won’t meet my eyes.”
  • “Or maybe a person is just made up of a lot of people,” I say. “Maybe we’re accumulating these new selves all the time.” Hauling them in as we make choices, good and bad, as we screw up, step up, lose our minds, find our minds, fall apart, fall in love, as we grieve, grow, retreat from the world, dive into the world, as we make things, as we break things.”
  •  “I gave up practically the whole world for you,” I tell him, walking through the front door of my own love story. “The sun, stars, ocean, trees, everything, I gave it all up for you.
  •  “When people fall in love, they burst into flames.”
  • “If bad luck knows who you are, become someone else.”
  • “And why do English people sound smarter than the rest of us? Like they should be awarded the Nobel Prize for a simple greeting?”
  • “No hot guy should be allowed to have an English accent and drive a motorcycle. Not to mention wear the leather jacket or sport the cool shades. Hot guys should be forced into footie pajamas.”
  • “Your first lesson: My studio is not a democracy. Have a donut.”

I tried so hard to find the donut scene, but I can't find it, sad and sorry :(, but you should know that the doughnut (is it a donut?) scene is the best scene ever, in the whole book. ;)

★ ★ ★ ★ Four stars (more like 4.5) but yes I enjoyed it!

I recommend it to: Everyone that likes Contemporary Novels about life. Okay mayb not life, more like mistakes, choices, love, and family. And how to find yourself when the whole world falls apart.
Whew, see you next time! 
Thank you for reading :D -K



Thanks to Kitty, my saviour, for allowing me to post this review- and writing it for this blog! You doing this is much appreciated!! <3
If YOU love this novel, then comment below telling me your fave part.

I hope you enjoyed this- remember to share this review with your friends, follow me and Kitty on Twitter and of course to like the blog's Facebook page :)
Until next time- byeee!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment