Wednesday, 14 January 2015

ARC BOOK REVIEW: The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie & Alyssa B. Sheinmel

Woah! I haven't reviewed a book since December '14! ('Winter Reads' has consisted of cover reveals and blog tours) But...
The largely anticipated novel based on the YouTube series has been read by yours truly. Let's begin with the review! But..

Like my blog's Facebook page and/or follow me on Twitter..if you wanna :1

Goodreads summary

Based on the wildly popular YouTube channel, The Haunting of Sunshine Girl has been described as “ Gilmore Girls meets Paranormal Activity for the new media age.” YA fans new and old will learn the secrets behind Sunshine—the adorkable girl living in a haunted house—a story that is much bigger, and runs much deeper, than even the most devoted viewer can imagine…

GENRE: Romance, Young Adult (YA), Thriller
AUTHOR: Paige McKenzie & Alyssa B. Sheinmel
PUBLISHER: Weinstein Books
SOURCE: eARC, NetGalley

PAGE NUMBER: 304
RELEASE DATE: March 24th 2015

I recieved this ARC in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.

Firstly, apologies for the long process of actually reviewing this novel. School is very demanding ATM and I've been super busy sorting out..problems with idiotic people. 
Anyways, on a more cheerier note, I recieved this book from NetGalley after reading the blurb and being like:


''I need this ASAP!''
So the story follows our female protagonist, Sunshine, moving to a new state (sorry I'm from the UK and DK the names of most states -_-). Like any teenager, she's not happy with the move. She moves with her adoptive mother, Katherine, a nurse and settles into school quite nicely. Home, on the other hand, not so much. She hears things, sees things and...*prepare for suspense* is being watched.

Okay, so I have to admit: I have never seen/heard of this series so I kinda went in here blind. But now? Now I am going to binge watch this series on YouTube so goodbye school and society!
And another thing I have to admit I thought would happen was zero romance. As a sucker for romance, I was hoping for it. And boy, did I get it! Nolan is awesome and mysterious, just like the novel!

Remember with this novel, everything is not what it seems...

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl involves that stereotypical 'little girl ghost' but it didn't feel cheesy or like I've heard this 1000 times before. It was new, it was original, it was fresh and it was a gloriously riveting ride to take.

It was written in...somewhat dual POV- Sunshine's POV and her 'watcher's'. But her watcher's was one every few chapters so not consistent. I loved the way it was written! It was easily relatable (minus the paranormal activity) and it had that slight informality which I love. Sunshine was, at the end of the day, a teenager. And McKenzie and Sheinmel wrote her perfectly. 

There's honestly nothing bad to say about this book. It definitely lived up to the buzz. I enjoyed it. So much so that I'm going to buy it in paperback/hardback to be able to physically hold it (my phone and Kindle are not enough!)

The ending...I hear there's a sequel? If so, I cannot wait for that! 

Preorder it on Amazon here


MY FAVOURITE QUOTES
**Soo..these few quotes are from the first part of the book. See, as I read deeper, I was too intrigued to stop, highlight and continue!


  • 'And if it seems like I'm over-using the word creepy, it's not because I don't have access to a thesaurus like everyone else with a smartphone, it's because there is simply no other word that will do.'
  • ''You've never seen a room this pink. You've never seen a pink this pink.''
  • 'There's no such thing as ghosts, Sunshine is quickly becoming her mantra.'
  • 'I know, that's super-lame for a teenager to say, but it's the truth. (See? I never lie!)'
  • 'She might just be the oddest duck in the pond that is my new school.'
  • ''She's a ghost, not my imaginary friend.''
  • ''Her skin is about three shades paler than usual, practically blue.''
  • 'A darkness so black, it felt like I'd never see the sun again.'
  • 'My hair is probably sticking out like a cartoon of someone getting electrocuted.'


★ ★ ★ ★ 4.5 stars

Questions
☻ Are you looking forward to reading this novel in March?
☻ Have you ever seen the series? Can you give me a run down in the comments below, please?
☻ How freaking awesome is the cover?!

Bye!! Thanks for reading- Like my Facebook page and/or follow me on Twitter? 

References
Cover: https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1420938243l/21413855.jpg
Supernatural GIF: https://31.media.tumblr.com/8abd82c0c80498574b1af298e49554fd/tumblr_ni376huKEX1u2drb8o2_500.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment