Wednesday, 10 December 2014

BOOK REVIEW: This is Sarah by Ally Malinenko || 10th December: BlogMas

Heyy guys!! Happy BlogMas day 10! For this post, I am going to review the *AMAZING* book, This is Sarah by Ally Malinenko.

Let us begin..;)

Goodreads summary: 
When Colin Leventhal leaned out his bedroom window on the night of May 12th and said goodbye to his girlfriend, he never expected it would be forever. But when Sarah Evans goes missing that night, Colin's world unravels as he transforms from the boyfriend next door to the main police 
suspect. Then one year later, at her memorial service, Colin makes a phone call that changes everything. Is it possible that Sarah is still alive? And if so how can he bring her back? 

As Colin struggles with this possibility, across the street, Sarah’s little sister, Claire learns how to navigate the strange new landscape of life without her sister. While her parents fall apart, Claire remains determined to keep going even if it kills her.

THIS IS SARAH serves as a meditation on loss, love and what it means to say goodbye.
 


GENRE: YA (Young Adult), Contemporary, Romance
AUTHOR: Ally Malinenko 
PUBLISHER: BookFish Books
SOURCE: PDF, won in a giveaway from author (!!!!!)
PAGE NUMBER: 169
RELEASE DATE: July 3rd 2014
About the author
Ally Malinenko,is the author of the poetry collection, The Wanting Bone (Six Gallery Press), the children's novel Lizzy Speare and the Cursed Tomb (Antenna Books) and This Is Sarah (BookFish Books). She lives in Brooklyn with her husband and blogs at allymalinenko.com. She can also be found blathering about Doctor Who at @allymalinenko.

Wow. Holy cow. This book..where to begin...
FYI, my current state= *drowning in feels*

So it took me a while to start this book after I won it (damn you, school), but once I did, I had trouble getting back into the real world. had to know what happened to Sarah. It was a phenomenal emotional ride. Better yet, it was real- the events, the emotions, the characters. I heart this book so, so much.

The story follows the lives of missing Sarah's sister, Claire and her boyfriend, Colin. It mainly focused on Colin, but that was okay. I loved that it showed the aftermath of the disappearance (it's set one year later). 
The writing was amazing- there were two insanely epic and dryly humorous transcripts of interrogations which I had never come across in a book before and it was written in the missing girl's boyfriend and sister. 

Right, so Colin is having some difficulty adjusting to Sarah's absence, and Claire is having trouble filling the void. It's kinda stereotypical, but as I've mentioned in other reviews, I enjoy and embrace stereotypes in books. Why? Well, as shown in This is Sarah, it's written so beautifully that I enjoy reading stereotypes. For example *MINI SPOILER ALERT, I THINK* Claire was irrevocably in love with Colin from day one. Rather than just telling him, I enjoyed the slow ride towards the two. However, I felt like it was a bit unnatural that Claire just by chance seemed to be everywhere. I wanted maybe Jenna's POV too, to have some flashbacks to show us how close her and Sarah actually were. Also, this is slightly biased, but there was always that snide voice in the back of my head that was like 'Hey! Just tell us what happened already. Does she come back?' Some may call this impatience. LOL. But I really wanted to read what actually happened. Prequel maybe, Ally Malinenko? Pretty please?? 

I guess that's the only criticisms I have. Other than that, this book is near perfection. 

I enjoyed it so, so soooo much. And it ended perfectly. 
  • I would usually do the 'My Favourite Quotes' segment of the review, but I read it on PDF, and was unable to highlight my faves. HOWEVER, I found tonnes of quotes that I enjoyed. 
CHARACTERS

Colin~ Colin was the average kid who secretly smoked and was star of the track team...with a missing girlfriend. Unsurprisingly, he's still not reacting well, even a year later. He constantly calls her with her voicemail always saying 'This is Sarah' (hence the title) and he either tells her to come home, tells her about his day, etc. Anyways, everyone's got their own grieving processes so, don't judge the poor kid.
Claire~ It seemed like Claire was living in her sister's shadow and wanted everything Sarah had. She even admits to wanting her to be missing, then she said she wanted to be the one missing. This was not said maliciously but it still made me see her in a different light for a bit. Claire highly resembles Sarah.
Mr & Mrs Evans~ Their marriage failed and I wanted to punch Mrs Evans for just taking the easy road by getting up and leaving. Mr Evans, bless him, tried to glue together the broken pieces of his family but failed. Also note that he has a dark side. Or maybe a light side overflowing with internal anger, who knows?
Colin's parents~ They were so oblivious it was funny. But they were good in Colin's intervention. 
Jenna and Michael~ I just could not figure these two out. I knew they were Colin's and Sarah's besties but they were just hot and cold throughout the novel. 

Comment below! 

BUY IT

Questions
☻ Did you feel sorry for Claire or Colin more?
☻ Why, oh why did Sarah's mother give up?
☻ Do you love Ally's (the author's) surname?  
 WHAT ARE YOUR THEORIES ON SARAH'S DISAPPEARANCE??

★ ★ ★ ★ 4.5 stars

follow me on Twitter and tell me what you thought.

Thank you, Ally Malinenko for providing me with this book!

BYE!!!! :D

Reference
Book cover: https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1401228813l/22360316.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment