Sunday, 23 November 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Weight of Destiny by Nyrae Dawn + EXCLUSIVE TEASER!!!!

Goodreads summary: 
When “crazy” runs in your family and your namesake is known for walking into a river with a pocket full of rocks, a girl kind of wants to avoid tempting fate at all costs. For Virginia Nichols, the only way to dodge that bullet is to be perfect at everything: school, student council, life. Too bad it’s all a lie, and underneath the perfection...Virginia is lost.

Ryder Blackstock knows a thing or two about being born into fate. The talents passed down from his father aren't exactly normal; instead of learning how to throw a fastball, he was taught to hot-wire a car like a pro and pick any pocket in sight. He’s got criminal blood, just like his old man. And as soon as he turns eighteen, he’ll be living life on the run with his dad.

When Ryder and Virginia meet on the beach, it seems they couldn't be more different. Soon they discover they’re both trapped in their lives—Virginia denying her fate, Ryder embracing his. Like the rocks in Virginia Woolf’s pockets, the weight of their destinies will pull them under. But being together brings out pieces of themselves they didn't know existed—pieces that make them want to take fate into their own hands and rewrite their destinies...if it’s not too late.
 


Buy it here: 
GENRE: YA (Young Adult)
AUTHOR: Nyrae Dawn
SOURCE: Bought, ebook, Kindle
RELEASE DATE: November 18th 2014

                                                                    About the author
I am a compulsive reader and writer who loves YA fiction. 
I love nothing more than writing about young adults. There is something so fresh and fun about it. You can pretty much always find me with a book in my hand or open document in front of me. 
I live in Southern California with my husband and two children

Check out her website • Twitter • Facebook 

'The Weight of Destiny' was a highly anticipated book on my 'TBR' list- I even mentioned it in a 'Want-It Wednesday & Q+A' post with Nyrae Dawn. So I am madly, deeply in love with this book- probably even more than how much Ryder and Virginia love each other (if that's even possible). I'm having Withdrawal Symptoms as I write this -_-
Also, how amazingly hot and awesome is the cover? That model ♡_♡ The cover represented everything, and I am happy to admit that it is in my top three of favourite book covers (POST COMING SOON)

Nyrae Dawn is a phenomenal author and I shamefully have not read any of her other works. I'm definitely going to read her other books. 
This amazing novel was written in dual POVs (Ryder's and Virginia's) and can I just say that the writing was on point. Something that was different but I enjoyed nonetheless was that Dawn included some poems that our protagonist, Virginia wrote. Here's one of my faves: 
'There once was a girl named Destiny. She was the fastest runner in the world. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't outrun who she was. Then she met a boy. He said his name was also Destiny, and for the first time in her life, she didn't feel like she was running alone.'

I really enjoyed this book. Anyways, the story follows our two very different protagonists, Virginia and Ryder. You know the drill: Virginia is the girl with the good grades and big house whilst Ryder is the misfit who drinks and doesn't think he fits in'. Ahh, it's so much more than that
They meet on the beach which is by far the best way to meet. Only, there's complications. And then there's trouble in paradise and they fight (all the best people do) and then Ryder does two heroic things to save Virginia. 
THIS BOOK WAS SO EPIC!

I cannot stress how much I loved this book. What I can do, however, is thank Nyrae Dawn for creating this beautiful world and I feel privileged to be able to be in the shoes of Ryder and Virginia. There were ups and downs, highs and lows, and tons of romance ;)

Right! Before I get emotional, let's resume with this review :-)

Characters
Virginia Lulu Nichols~ The amazing, cool, fearless, brave, conflicted, best female protagonist ever. I love/d her. She's totally relatable. And her boyfriend is Ryder
Ryder Blackstock~ My new book boyfriend! Man, I love this guy to the moon and back. He's funny and epic and cool. He's not broken, just bent. And Virginia doesn't put him back to normal; she helps him.
Cody and Tanner~ Argh they were soo cute! I look forward to read this story (anyone know when it comes out?) And it's good of Nyrae to create such diverse characters- with flaws, different sexual orientations, different skin colours and different problems.
Shane~ Shane was cool. He was Ryder's BFF and always there for him when he needed him.
Drea~ Drea's the only girl of the Misfit crew and she keeps to herself a bit. Also, her and Ryder used to hook up 'just for fun' before Virginia and this obviously causes problems. So there's a slight love triangle. Slight. 
Luke~ Luke, I love you! I wanted to punch Ryder's arm for being cold but kinda totally got why he acted the way he did. However, I immensely enjoyed the patched up brother relationship between Luke and Ryder. 
Virginia's parents~ Virginia's mother suffers from DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) and it really opened my eyes that something like this is actually real. Nyrae explains at the end in a letter that her family friend had it and it's a barrier between Virginia's relationship with her mother. But, like always, everything is not what it seems. 
Her dad is sweet and humble and always there for her. 

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES: 
I'm just gonna come out with it- I was highlighting the living daylights out of this book on my Kindle and so it was hard to pick my faves. But here are some:
  • 'In other words, things I can actually use. Not algebra.'
  • 'It's so big out here, it's easy to get lost. To pretend things aren't going to fall apart again'
  • 'Tonight, I think she might be the loneliest girl in the world
  • 'Fear grips my throat like an old, scarred, gnarled hand'.
  • 'I don't know, sticks in my head like peanut butter to the roof of my mouth...Guilt washes the peanut butter away and takes its place'
  • 'It was one thing to see my house at night, but another in the daytime'
  • ''Fine. Whatever. Have a good life, future business leader of America''.
  • 'Just stop, I tell myself. I am in control of what I feel. I always will be.'
  • 'A door slams in my brain, closing those thoughts down before they can grow wings and take flight'.
  • 'The need to be alone became a magnet'.
  • 'Yes, there's a bat under the blanket next to me. There's nothing wrong with being a smart girl, even when I am moping on a beach at night. 
  • '...while at the same time as though he's slipping on a mask'.
  • ''I won't lose myself so deeply in fiction that I can't handle the real world'
  • 'There's a quiet whisper, deep in the darkest parts of me''.
  • 'So many things dance in her eyes, some out in the open, others hiding.'
  • ''Virginia''. He kisses the corner of my mouth. ''You''. His lips find my neck next. ''Stopped''. They slide down and land on the hollow spot behind my ear. ''Kissing''.
  • 'I'm not the girl who gets lost in her head'.
  • 'I see something in her that's lost'
  • 'Life is full of uncertainty. All you have to do is keep going'.
So that's it from me. Comment below, letting me know your views. 
Follow me on Twitter, if you wish

★ ★ ★  ★ 5.5/5 stars :P
Questions
☻ Who's story are you looking forward to reading next?
☻Isn't Nyrae epic?
☻Do you love Ryder to the moon and back as well?
☻Do you believe in destiny?

BONUS --> There's a particular scene/chapter where the song, 'Out of the Woods' by Taylor Swift was in my head. Tell me (via the comments or Twitter or Facebook) if you felt that song, or if another song played in your head in any particular scene from The Weight of Destiny 

Teaser!!!  
Here's the Amazon link again! 
Reference:
Cover: https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1413383863l/23349304.jpg
Teaser: Taken from Nyrae Dawn's Facebook group

No comments:

Post a Comment