Saturday, 18 October 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Heir of Skies (previously entitled 'Starbright') by Rachel Higginson

Goodreads summary: 
Stella is a Star, sent by a Council of Elders to live on Earth and protect the planet from the Darkness, a terrifying evil that would suck the good from every living thing and leave the planet empty and desolate. She has until her twenty-fifth birthday before the Protectorship becomes hers and Earth is left solely her responsibility. Stella’s fate goes on fast forward as she struggles to balance the rest of high school with the duties of protecting humanity from the deadliest kind of evil. With her parents and Seth, the boy intended to be her Counterpart, by her side she faces down demons and fallen angels in an effort to protect the last inhabited planet in the universe. But evil is not her only enemy. She also fights her future as she tries to decide if she’s willing to give up her human relationships, especially that of her best friend Tristan, in order to save humanity.

This book was previously named 'Starbright'
GENRE: YA (Young Adult)
AUTHOR: Rachel Higginson
PUBLISHER: Createspace
SOURCE: Gift from author (!!!), e-book (Kindle)
PAGE NUMBER: 244
RELEASE DATE: September 16th 2012
  
Firstly, thank you sooo much to Rachel Higginson, the author, was gifting this book to me! I truly enjoyed it and am proud to be a Reckless Rebel :)

It took me a teeny while to get into this book, as the events started straight away. But that was a good thing.

As those of your who follow me on Twitter (<-- follow, follow, follow) are aware: I am obsessed with the stars and everything that comes with them. That's actually one of the reasons I chose this book when Ms Rachel Higginson asked me what book I wanted. (She's like Santa Claus- gifting me books. Love you, Rachel). Anyways, I was particularly pleased with the whole concept of stars and angels and light and darkness. One of my fave, standout-ish and philosophical (to me, at least) quotes is: ''Where the Light could not and did not tough there was Darkness''.  
(Side note/boring part revolving me: THIS QUOTE NEEDS TO HAPPEN TO ME ALREADY! ''Comfortable silence fell between us and the rest of our time was spent watching the Stars overhead'' 

So this book follows Stella who is a Star sent to Earth to one day save it and avenge it, etc. One thing I enjoyed from this book was that our female protagonist- still with a great deal of power- actually had parents. Like every book I read involves parent-less characters. Not that there's anything wrong with that- it's just that I, as a reader, feel content when I read the parents' input and guidance to the character. It warms my heart, what can I say? 
*I hope I didn't offend anyone

Yeah, so Stella is a (not so) regular teenage high schooler, who's gorgeous, popular-in-the-not-so-vain-and-it-girl-way and athletically blessed. She's is also BFFs with the oh, so hot, Tristan. He is her bestie since forever and is the only human who knows her secret. In rides the other oh, so hot male protagonist: Seth. He is Stella's Warrior and destined partner in crime/saviour/husband. (I'm gonna discuss the characters individually below).

As you can guess, yes there is a love triangle. And, granted, Twilight and maybe The Vampire Diaries have taken all the fun out of love triangles, but I promise you this will revive your broken views on love triangles. 
Another plus: I never at all thought the love triangle was forced. Why? Because Tristan and Stella have know each other for ages, and, as Stella's mother says, Tristan had never felt any competition until Seth. That's why and how the love triangle forms. It's because Tristan never felt the need to mark his territory. But LOL the not-so-friendly banter between Seth and Tristan is EPIC. *heart eyes*

The writing styles was in Stella's POV. And OMG let me just take this moment to say: Stella Day is *the best* female protagonist ever!! Like, seriously. She's sassy, feminine, tom-boyie (?) and just downright epic. She's an absolute laugh. I love her. It was a wonderful feeling to read the novel in her POV (Side note: Ms Higginson, a novel or two in Tristan's and Seth's POV would be a good idea. Just sayin')
I really, really, really enjoyed Stella's character. She rules. 

One thing that bothered me a little bit too much to the point where it freaked me out a tad, was the overly close friendship between Stella and Tristan. IDK, they seemed to be crossing the thin line between friendship and a relationship a few times. But they're like bro and sis, but IDK...

To conclude on the 'My views' section: Stella, Seth and Tristan are epic protagonists and you should definitely, definitely, definitely buy the book. 
HOWEVER, I feel the need to say that the fight scene at the end was dragging on a little bit, but I knew it was of great significance. 

Characters:

Stella~ As previously mentioned, I love love LOVE this character. She's sassy, she's funny, she's cool, and more importantly, she's a strong independent warrior of a female protagonist. 

Seth~ Seth is one of the three points of the triangle of love. In this, he is essentially the 'good boy'. However, probs to Higginson, he isn't too goody-goody. He has a cheeky, dark side (SPOILER ALERT? He almosts beats Stella up during training for an..indiscretion) 
But he was loveable and cute and reminded me of those surfer boys..minus the blue eyes

Tristan~ Although it took me a while to work this out, Tristan is the 'bad boy' in this love triangle. But he also has/shows/feels compassion and emotion..and projects it in a dark, sexy, aggressive way :P I really enjoyed his friendship with Stella.

Jupiter~ Ha, Jupiter made me giggle a lot. He is the grumpy, old mentor that is so stoic and serious he's funny! I loved him and especially loved him bossing Stella-and everyone for that matter- about.

Stella's parents~ They were cute and stern yet caring and showed quite a few displays of affection. Which was cute..and Stella asked herself if  her and Seth would have a relationship like that. <3

Piper~ Piper is Stella's female, human BFF that is unaware of her secret. Usually, I feel like there is no point of these..tertiary high school friend characters, as they just seem there and have no significance. But Piper was bubbly and fun. However, I feel like parts with her in were quite long, and there were less appearances of her.

Stella's other human friends~ They were funny, and, including Piper, added humanity and less stress to Stella's life, Rigley annoyed me a bit, though. 

Aliah~ Aliah is our villian who is the typical downright evil yet good looking. He's that type. He is with (or in, IDK how to word this) the Darkness. And is mean -_-

Seven~ Seth's sister with a rather unusual name. I won't reveal anything about her other than that because it may ruin things.

My favourite STELLA DAY quotes:
I feel the need to mention that I went a little bit OTT when highlighting my fave quotes on my Kindle. LOL. 

  • ''Mead High School wasn't going to know what hit it when that boy walked through the doors'
  • ''I was so not going to be responsible for the fall of mankind because I couldn't keep my adolescent hormones under control, aka keep from ogling the man candy that invaded my house and my life''
  • ''I could probably handle it. Just as long as I stayed far away from those abs''
  • ''''Staying here is only going to continue to put Stella and Seth in danger, They are...they are...what is that phrase...they are standing turkeys until we do something''   ''Ducks'', my mother offered sweetly. ''Sitting sucks.'''' Oh, Jupiter!!
  • ''I noticed Seth reaching down to pull sweatpants over his bare calves and thighs and oh, dear lord... boxer briefs.''
★ ★ ★ ★ 4.5 stars
Please, please comment below, giving me your views on this book (I'll reply!)

Buy it here: 
Ebooks
Kindle
Nook 
Kobo
Smashwords 

Paperback:
Amazon

Also, follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/nylah_m

Questions:
☻ Did you enjoy the love triangle?
☻ Are you Team Seth or Team Tristan?






BONUS: Check out how gorgeous the cover is for the next book, Heir of Darkness


Wowee!! How gorgeous is this?! 
*Note: This is NOT a cover reveal, just me admiring the cover.









Okay, I'm done now. Bye! :-)

Reference to images used:
First image: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--Q0sLrpQxqM/U3I4RNVKwUI/AAAAAAAABnE/X6rIbXKxXjk/s1600/Heir+of+skies+final+1.jpg
Second Image: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LINybcGvDFA/U3I5ZIlBqRI/AAAAAAAABnM/9RcisEB4sZY/s1600/Heir+of+Darkness+final+1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment