Friday, 24 October 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick

Goodreads summary:
Sometimes danger is hard to see... until it’s too late. 

Britt Pfeiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn't prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin, accepting the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants—but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage. 

In exchange for her life, Britt agrees to guide the men off the mountain. As they set off, Britt knows she must stay alive long enough for Calvin to find her. The task is made even more complicated when Britt finds chilling evidence of a series of murders that have taken place there... and in uncovering this, she may become the killer’s next target. 

But nothing is as it seems in the mountains, and everyone is keeping secrets, including Mason, one of her kidnappers. His kindness is confusing Britt. Is he an enemy? Or an ally? 

BLACK ICE is New York Times bestselling author Becca Fitzpatrick’s riveting romantic thriller set against the treacherous backdrop of the mountains of Wyoming. Falling in love should never be this dangerous…


GENRE: YA (Young Adult)
AUTHOR: Becca Fitzpatrick
PUBLISHER: Simon and Schuster 
SOURCE: Bought, hardback
PAGE NUMBER: 392
RELEASE DATE: October 7th 2014

Becca Fitzpatrick’s Hush, Hush saga, including Hush, Hush; Crescendo; Silence; and Finale all debuted as New York Times best-sellers. She graduated with a degree in health, which she promptly abandoned for storytelling. When not writing, she’s most likely running, prowling sales racks for shoes, or traveling. She lives in Colorado with her family. Twitter  Goodreads
I am sooo incredibly happy that I finally got my hands on this book. I have been waiting for this book for AGES! No joke- check out my 'Want-it Wednesday' post {BONUS: Becca Fitzpatrick favourited it on Twitter!! <3) 
I read Black Ice in 22 hours!!  (Yes, that includes reading it under my covers 'till 3am). This book was worth it.   It is really hard to review this book. Sorry! Ahh, it was a deliciously twisted set of words.  Like, there were twists everywhere with everyone. Sorry- maybe that was a spoiler.

The story follows Britt, a somewhat spoilt and somewhat stereotypical girl-who-falls-for-her-best-friends-brother-and-is-the-only-girl-in-the-fam. But I enjoyed the steretypes- I embraced them. She loves to camp...mainly because of her then boyfriend, Calvin's love for the woods. She slightly came off like the clingy type- it was even mentioned, but it was fine. I could live with that. Anyways, for spring break (I think-British, sorry, IDK this stuff) she goes with her best friend, Korbie camping...Korbie who also happens to be Calvin's sister. 

The friendship between Korbie and Britt was one of the two things that bugged me. Like at the beginning of the novel, they were friends. And then Britt reveals that Korbie and her are in competition with one another over practically everything. There's tension between them when they argue, but then Britt constantly asked about her when they were held captive or hostage (sorry, not sure about this particular terminology -_-)
But they'd know each other for ages, but they fought..IDK.

The other thing that bugged me was something that I will not reveal, as it is very spoiler-y. #sorrynotsorry ;)

One thing that I couldn't decide if I liked it or not was that Britt was constantly bringing up Calvin's name. HOWEVER, I've seen Once Upon A Time and The Vampire Diaries enough times to know that 'hope is the strongest magic of all' and 'hope is the only thing that keeps you going'. 

There were a few implications of sexism between male characters, but I totally understand this: It was thrown in to show that Britt has become her own independent person without leaning on the males in her life. 

Aside from the things above, everything else I really enjoyed. The plot was intriguing enough, and the author (Hush, Hush, anyone?) was/is epic,the cover!! &
then when I read it, I was continuusly surprised and freaked out and felt lovey-dovey then felt relieved then I ACTUALLY STARTED FEELING COLD. 
It's worth mentioning that I also enjoyed that the novel kicks right in with the action and climax. 
To elaborate, the descriptiveness of Becca Fitzpatrick's novel was stunning. Honestly, she has an amazing way with words. It was written in first person- Britt's POV. 

The epilogue...I can't....I won't. Too many feels. And then there's the mention of stars! You had me there, Becca! (Pssttt..if you follow me on Twitter, you'd know I love stars-read my bio)

Overall, this book was cool, I liked it. You soon get used to Britt's character. Truth be told, she wasn't all that bad. It was full of countless twists, which I loved. It was a truly phenomenal ride and I thank Becca Fitzpatrick for writing this book. Kudos.
Also, Becca, if you're reading this, you absolutely nailed writing a stand-alone book. The flashbacks, making us feel like we've known the characters forever... *applaud emoji*

It could even be the ideal Halloween book, who knows?

If you're interested in buying it, click on the link that suits you:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Waterstone's

Characters:
Britt Pheiffer~ She was a good protagonist. I enjoyed being in her shoes. 
Korbie Veersteg~ To be honest, Korbie annoyed me more than she made me laugh. She's sort of life the stereotypical Regina George..in a sense

Unfortunately, these are the only characters I'll be discussing due to me not helping myself when it comes to revealing spoilers. PROMISE: There are plenty of bad boys in this book. Eye candy, bad attitudes, good kissers...the whole package

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES:
  • “When was the last time you were kissed?" he went on easily. 
    "And I'm not talking about the dry, noncommittal, meaningless kiss you forget about as soon as it's over." I scrambled out of my stupor long enough to quip, "Like last night's kiss?" 
    He cocked an eyebrow. 
    "That so? I wonder, then, why you moaned my name after you drifted to sleep."
    "I did not!" 
  • "More tongue exercises? Would have thought you'd had enough last night."
    "Go to hell."
    "Sorry, love, but we're already there.”
  • “They say that when you're about to die, your life flashes before your eyes. They never tell you that when you watch someone you once loved dying, hovering between this life and the next, it's twice as painful, because you're reliving two lives that traveled one road together.”
There were many many more!

★ ★ ★ ★ 4 stars

That's it from me. Hope you enjoyed this review and found it helpful/useful.
Comment below letting me know your thoughts!
Byee!!

Reference for image used:
Book cover: http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1393621595l/16059938.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment