Friday, 12 September 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen

Goodreads summary:
REFERENCE: http://d.gr-assets.com/
books/1331385411l/11051889.jpg
For eighteen year-old Gemma, life has never been normal. Up until recently, she has been incapable of feeling emotion. And when she's around Alex, the gorgeous new guy at school, she can feel electricity that makes her skin buzz. Not to mention the monsters that haunt her nightmares have crossed over into real-life. But with Alex seeming to hate her and secrets popping up everywhere, Gemma's life is turning into a chaotic mess. Things that shouldn't be real suddenly seem to exist. And as her world falls apart, figuring out the secrets of her past becomes a matter of life and death.


GENRE: YA (Young Adult)
AUTHOR: Jessica Sorensen
PUBLISHER: Createspace 
SOURCE: ebook, bought (£0, $0)
RELEASE DATE: April 11th 2011
PAGE NUMBER: 449

If you are obsessed with books, you would always remember 'that first e-book'. The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen was my first e-book. I vividly remember; it was 2011 and I had just bought an Android phone and I downloaded the Kindle app and created an account, etc. I was searching for a specific genre, and, ashamedly, chose this for the fact that it was free. But the cover was also phenomenal. 


So yeah, this book (and its sequels) were my first e-books. And the character of Gemma has had a huge impact on me. Truth be told, she changed me. She changed my perception and I loved this whole series.

The book was beautifully written- I loved that it was informal, with the occasional 'WTF' (like seriously, which author uses abbreviations in their books?!) Bravo, Ms Sorensen.
BTW, It was in Gemma's POV.

The basic plot followed Gemma, a teenage girl who lived with her evil grandparents and had no friends. I had to admit, I did find that a bit unrelatable. I mean, Gemma could've had one friend. But Sorensen actively created a somewhat anti-social protagonist. 

She meets the new boy, Alex Avery (holy sh*t! He is my ultimate, original book boyfriend. No joke. The first one) he's just..I can't....

Alex is the moody/intentional messy hair/tall/green-eyed/sexy type of bad boy male protagonist. You know the type. The type that play with my heart strings. 

SPOILER ALERT?: Gemma has a fallen star's energy inside her and Alex is sorta drawn to it..more ironic than ya think! ;)
Honestly though, I cannot stress how much I LOVED this book. You should read it. Go. Now. Bonus: It's freeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the more reason to GO & GET IT & READ IT and enjoy this world. 

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES:

I loved every quote in this book. Truthfully. Unashamedly. But I managed to pick a couple of stander outers. 

  • “Liar's such a strong word. I prefer to think of it as me omitting some of the details" - Alex”
  • “I landed in the living room of the cabin with the gracefulness of a drunken person, stumbling and banging my knee on the corner of the coffee table. I don’t know what it was—if the falling threw off my equilibrium or something—but I just couldn’t land normally when traveling by a crystal, or by teleporting, or when walking on ice. Oh, fine. Maybe it was just me.” SERIOUSLY HOW COULD YOU NOT LOVE GEMMA??
★ ★ ★ ★ 4.5 stars
I hope my review helped and, as always, comment below letting me know your views (I'll reply!)
Follow me on Twitter for updates, randomness, etc? www.twitter.com/nylah_m

Questions

-- Did you love Alex?
--Or was it Laylen that caught your eye?
--Isn't Aislin the sweetest?
--Do you want to hug Jessica Sorensen really hard for creating this world for us?!


BYEEE!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment