Saturday, 9 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Goodreads summary:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

GENRE: YA (Young Adult)
AUTHOR: John Green
PUBLISHER: Penguin, Dutton Books
SOURCE: Bought, paperback
PAGE NUMBER: 318
RELEASE DATE: January 10th 2012

>There is a film made, based on this novel. It was released in 2014.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582846/

There are probably no words to describe my new-found love and appreciation for John Green as an author. That being said, he absolutely killed it with this book! His writing style (in Hazel's POV) was amazing. I loved every humorous, heartbreaking and humbling moment of this book. However, the ending was truly saddening and I will never, ever be the same again. 

The dynamic between Green's lead protagonists, Hazel Grace and Augustus 'Gus', is intelligent and funny and witty. The way they communicate and get each other to read their favourite books got me teary-eyed. They are so effing adorable!!!

It was intelligently written by Mr John Green and..man it was just phenomenal. It was a book that I will never forget and will definitely go back to my bookshelf to redeem it, and to re-live in the amazing world of Hazel, Gus and their friend Isaac. 
It made me see cancer, and cancer patients, in a different light. It was an awesome book. 
You are seriously missing out if you don't buy it. So buy it. And be amazed. And happy. And sad. And a whole load of different emotions at the same time. The Fault in Our Stars is truly a roller-coaster of emotions. So sit back, and enjoy the ride ;)

CHARACTERS:

Hazel Grace Lancaster~ The amazing, courageous protagonist. She was an amazing character that is a cancer sufferer. But that doesn't stop her from being absolutely exceptional.
My fave Hazel quote: “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”

Augustus Waters~ The male protagonist and lover of Hazel Grace. I absolutely, definately, rightfully gained a new book boyfriend and he was a joy to read about. 
My fave Gus quote: “You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.” 

Isaac~ Isaac was a hilarious, broken character that was just as good as Hazel and Gus. 
My fave Isaac quote: Augustus Waters was a self-aggrandizing bastard. But we forgive him. We forgive him not because he had a heart as figuratively good as his literal one sucked, or because he knew more about how to hold a cigarette than any nonsmoker in history, or because he got eighteen years when he should've gotten more.''

Hazel's parents~ Were so incredibly adorable. I loved the way they looked out for Hazel and the way Hazel's dad always cried. 
★ ★ ★ ★ 

So that's almost it for my review on TFiOS, but first...
Comment, telling me your views (I'll reply!)

Questions=
☻Did this book emotionally break you for the better?
☻ Do you long for your own Augustus Waters?
☻ Why, oh why, did it end the way it did?

Byee!!! :-)
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/nylah_m

Reference
Book cover: http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360206420l/11870085.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment