Tuesday, 19 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Goodreads summary:
Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can. 
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong.



GENRE: YA (Young Adult), 
AUTHOR: Michelle Hodkin
PUBLISHER: Simon & Schuster
SOURCE: Bought, paperback
PAGE NUMBER: 466
RELEASE DATE: September 27th 2011



This book is one that I had been putting off reading for a while. I don't actually know why but all I know is now I deeply regret not reading it sooner. Like, holy crap!! This book is a whole other level of awesome and a whole other level of madness. 


Let's start with the cover- exquisite. Absolutely exquisite. Aside from what I read on Michelle Hodkin's FAQ page on her website, I get the whole underwater theme of the cover (although there's no proper underwater scenes between the characters. ..Sorta)
My perception: (I'd consider myself a semi-professional, having spent a lot of time on Tumblr and WeHeartIt ;))
So our protagonist, Mara is metaphorically drowning. She could be drowning in her thoughts, in her memories, in her problems, whatever. But she's drowning and Noah, her saviour/boyfriend is holding her down. Thus not letting her float or come up, etc. 
That's just my theory- what's yours? Comment below!

So the story was just twisted, thrilling, intense, creepy, witty, and a whole other load of oxymorons. It's everything. 
It's also really complicated but I loved it (call me mad).

So it's written in Mara's POV and features flashbacks from 'the night of the accident' which is basically when her best friend and boyfriend died (or so she thought) and was also the victim of attempted rape at the hands of her boyfriend, Jude. 
Trouble is, Mara hallucinates and sometimes memories and reality overlap so I admit, I was confused but then I was fine. 

The whole dynamic of a girl who thinks she's fine but everyone does not is so compelling. I loved everything (mainly the banter between Mara and Noah). Well done, Ms Hodkin.

I loved all the characters (but let's be honest: Noah is just ❤__❤) and will go into further detail below. 

CHARACTERS:

Mara Dyer~ Her name isn't really Mara Dyer; nobody knows...until the next book. I really enjoyed having the honor of being inside her crazy head throughout the novel. She was an amazing protagonist. Oh, and her language/profanity was EPIC. Loved it

Noah Shaw~ British, rich, bad ass, hot..everything I long for in a real person but have in a book boyfriend (did that even make sense? sorry!) But yeah, he's ultimately phenomenal and just, urgh, I can't...

Daniel~ Mara's older brother who is hilarious and his presence was cool. I liked his personality- streak of caring yet not too sucky. 
I LOVE THE FACT THAT THIS PROTAGONIST ACTUALLY HAS SIBLINGS AS MOST DON'T. 
Joseph~ Mara's younger brother who is cute and looks up to Mara.

There's tonnes more characters but read it to find and love them!

MY FAVORITE QUOTES:
  • "But I need to go home," I said, my eyes meeting his. "My parents are going to kill me."
    "Taken care of. You're at Sophie's house."
    I loved Sophie.
    "So I'm...staying here?"
    "Daniel's covering for you."
    I loved Daniel.
    "Where's Katie?" I asked, trying to sound casual.
    "Eliza's house."
    I loved Eliza.
    "And your parents?" I asked.
    "Some charity thing."
    I loved charity.
    "So why are you going to read when I'm right here?” 
  • “Asscrown," I muttered under my breath as I headed to my next class. I wasn't proud of swearing at a complete stranger, no. but he started it.
    Noah matched my pace. "Don't you mean 'assclown'?" He looked amused
    "No," I said, louder this time. "I mean asscrown. The crown on top of the asshat that covers the asshole of the assclown. The very zenith in the hierarchy of asses," I said, as though I was reading from a dictionary of modern profanity.
  • "I guess you nailed me then.”
  • “Have you kissed many boys before?" he asked quietly.
    His question brought my mind back into focus. I raised an eyebrow. "Boys? That's an assumption."
    Noah laughed, the sound low and husky. "Girls, then?"
    "No."
    "Not many girls? Or not many boys?"
    "Neither," I said. Let him make of that what he would.
    "How many?"
    "Why—"
    "I am taking away that word. You are no longer allowed to use it. How many?"
    My cheeks flushed, but my voice was steady as I answered. "One."
    At this, Noah leaned in impossibly closer, the slender muscles in his forearm flexing as he bent his elbow to bring himself nearer to me, almost touching. I was heady with the proximity of him and grew legitimately concerned that my heart might explode. Maybe Noah wasn't asking. Maybe I didn't mind. I closed my eyes and felt Noah's five o' clock graze my jaw, and the faintest whisper of his lips at my ear.
    "He was doing it wrong.” 
  • "You're mistaking bitter animosity for heartfelt affection.”
  • ''I narrowed my eyes at him. "You're evil."
    In response, Noah smiled, and raised his finger to gently tap the tip of my nose. "And you're mine," he said, then walked away.” 
  • “Why do you always look like you just rolled out of bed?'
    'Because usually I have.' And the way he raised his eye-brow at me made me blush.
    'Classy,' I said.” 
  • “Fix me," I commanded him. "This thing, what I've done - there's something wrong with me, Noah. Fix it."
    Noah's expression broke my heart as he brushed my hair from my face, and skimmed the line of my neck. "I can't"
    "Why not?" I asked, my voice threatening to crack.
    "Because," he said, "You're not broken.” 
★ ★ ★ ★

Please, please comment below, giving me your views on this book (I'll reply!)
Also, follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/nylah_m

Questions

☻ Do you want your own Noah Shaw?
☻ Do you crave to see how this amazing plot unravels in the sequels(s)?
☻ Who else loved the cover?
☻ Who else wants to give Michelle Hodkin a hug for creating this world for us?

Bye!!


References
http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1336655755l/11408650.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment