Sunday, 24 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins

Goodreads summary:
Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things. 

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?


GENRE: YA (Young Adult)
AUTHOR: Wendy Higgins
PUBLISHER: HarperTeen
SOURCE: Bought, paperback
PAGE NUMBER: 371
RELEASE DATE: April 30th 2013

I really enjoyed this book. Truly. We've got the the forbidden love of Anna and Kaidan; resulting in the oh-so-obvious sexual tension of them two (I love them!) and then the real action= the baddies.
The book is written beautifully-it's written in first person (Anna's POV).  

So Anna needs to travel the world and the seven seas to look for other Nephs...and having just broke off their blissful yet dangerous romance, Anna and Kaidan no longer speak. So of course Kopano, the sweet and utterly loyal Neph, offers to accompany her. SPOILER ALERT: They end up making out in a closet and she gets hickeys! Sorry, couldn't keep that to myself. -_-
Ms Higgins, I really enjoyed the events in this book. From Kopano and Anna's travelling to Kai protecting Anna under the decks (I TOTALLY LOST IT!!) 

Back to the events before the infamous closet-hickey segment, it's been two years since their romance and Anna still cannot get over Kai! Is that love, or what?
If I'm honest, I wasn't particularly fond of it being a whole two years..it just seemed to long, in my opinion. But I guess that just showed the depth, capacity and dynamic of  the love Anna had for Kaidan. 

It was just...epic and then some. Nothing less, obviously more ;)

CHARACTERS:

Anna~She was a pleasant protagonist for me to read in the POV of. I enjoyed her attitude to tasks she would've thought of as impossible before. (PSSTTT...Katniss fans, you've got competition with my fave Southern gal, Anna Whitt. #pureheroism)

Kaidan~ He was still so damn hot and British (like me!) and hot and music-y and a whole lot of other swoon-worthy things.
One thing that got on my nerves a tad was that he sounded a bit like a pirate when he said 'mate'. Not all British folk talk like this..IDK, maybe I watch too much Once Upon A Time with Captain Hook ;p
But I could easily overlook it..coz it's Kai. Duh

The Neph crew~ Consists of Marna, Ginger, Blake and the other Neph teens (excluding Kope- he has a more major role in this novel, so I'll mention him below). They all had these amazing elements that seriously I applaud. I love the cynicism of Ginger, the sweetness of Marna and the swoon-worthy attributes of Blake. 

Kopano~ Showed his loyalty and his sweetness and his swoon-worthy personality (Wendy Higgins creates a lot of amazing guys!). I sorta felt sorry for him at the end...*sniff*

#IsighforKai #IhopeforKope AND #IacheforBlake--Clearly I can't choose. And I won't! They are all my book boyfriends.

Patti~ I adore her. She's protective and awesome and totally badass.

Jay~ Jay is sweet and oblivious...he reminded me of a lost puppy at times! (SPOILER: My puppy grows up into an alpha doggy in the next book..due to...situations with a certain British twin). 

There are a few more characters..but read to find and befriend/hate them!!

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES:

  • “Ready to s-snuggle?" he asked Kaidan, a slight clatter in his voice. Only Blake could joke on a night like this and get away with it.
    Kaidan shook his head and undressed down to his boxers, too, the tension finally shedding away from his frame. "I swear, mate. If I feel something poke me in the back. . ." 
    Blake's laugh was dry. "I'm pretty sure my junk froze off, man, so don't worry.” 
  • “Spend the night with me.” (...)
    “I’m tired of living like I’m not alive.” He dropped his hands from my face to grip my shoulders. “I’m bloody sick to death of it. I want one night to be alive. With you.” He closed his eyes and leaned his forehead on mine.
    “Please, Anna. One last night and we’ll go back to being safe again. I need this. I need you.” 
  • “My girlfriend is a party girl angel who can kick some arse and cook.” 
  • “Girl, all you have to do is say the word, and Mr. Lusty McLust a Lot here will be happy to whisper some dirty nothings in your ear.” 
  • “I stole glances at Kaidan's bare skin while the others were busy talking. That's my boyfriend right there, I silently announced.” 
  • “Anna... the night of the summit, when you were saved, it was the only time in my life I've thenked God for anything"
    Those words. They would melt me over and over for all time” 

★ ★ ★ ★ 4.5 stars
Please, please comment below, giving me your views on this book (I'll reply!)


Also, follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/nylah_m
WENDY HIGGINS FOLLOWS ME ON TWITTER!! WOOO!!!

Questions:
☻ Did you enjoy when Anna stripped in front of Kai? 
☻ Did Ginger's peck on Anna's lips surprise you? But you were happy for the bonding moment, yes?
☻ WHO ELSE HOPES FOR KOPE??!!!
☻ Who else swooned and couldn't even deal when Kai literally held Anna so tight on the island? I loved that part!! 

BTW I'm currently reading Sweet Reckoning, the last book in this trilogy, so a review should be up shortly!! :) Bye!!

Reference
Book cover:  http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351223157l/15768191.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment