Saturday, 16 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Goodreads summary:
Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


GENRE: YA (Young Adult)
AUTHOR: Wendy Higgins
PUBLISHER: HarperTeen
SOURCE: Bought, paperback
PAGE NUMBER: 447
RELEASE DATE: May 21st 2012

I cannot really put into words how amazing this book is. It's definitely one of my favourite Nephilim/angel novels. I really enjoyed the characters introduced (Two words: Kaidan Rowe--> ❤_❤) and the events were epic.

Sweet Evil is written in first person- the POV of the female protagonist, Anna Whitt. Before I read this, I had not been familiar with the work of Ms Wendy Higgins...but now I jump up and down when I hear about a new project from her. (Oh, and her friendship with Jennifer L Armentrout, author of Obsidian/The Lux series is sooo fabulously sweet). :)

In case anyone is unaware, Kaidan Rowe is one of my favourite book boyfriends...we're both British and I can bang a simple drum beat; he plays for a band. He is uber hot. 'Nuff said. But seriously, read it and you'll fall for him. (Each time I read this book, I fall for him like it was the first time).

My own version of the plot: (SPOILERS?)
Anna Whitt is adopted by a women named Patti, and although they have a really close, loyal relationship, Anna goes on a few-day road trip with the ever so hot piece of eye candy...Kaidan Rowe. Turns out, they're both Nephilim, which are the children of angels and humans. They're destined to abide in Hell forever (ouch...or burn, rather ;)) Anna has a few gifts/abilities that she can't quite get the hang of. 
Over the course of the road trip, Anna and Kaidan begin to grow close but they can't become an item because of the Dukes (all their fathers- especially Anna and Kaidan's fathers, who are very powerful) and their tasks. That's a poor way of describing it, so...
Kaidan= Lust= he has a new woman each night
Anna= Alcohol, etc= she must be intoxicated
Marna and Ginger= adultery= they can sense a relationship and break it up
and there's wayy more characters.

But it is a really interesting and compelling read that you will enjoy.  

CHARACTERS:

Anna Whitt~ Anna Whitt is a Southern 'good girl' that has a gift or two. This character was quite fun, and I enjoyed having the opportunity to read in her shoes. She's great

Kaidan Rowe~ Let's not even go there...he's hot..and then some...just read it...trust me

Jay~ Jay is Anna's human bestie and he is also in a (somewhat struggling) band with his other friend, Greggory. He means well and is sweet and cool...I enjoyed when he called Anna 'dude' :D

Patti~ Patti was funny and overprotective and somewhat vulnerable due to her being human at the same time. I enjoyed her relationship with Anna. 

Kope~ Kope was an interesting, somewhat complex character.

Blake~ Blake was the chill, cool, surfer-type character every novel needs. 

Marna~ The nice British twin, who befriends Anna.

Ginger~ The...moody British twin that sorta hates Anna...and everyone except her sister and a selected few.

The Dukes~ Are all mean and controlling, except for Anna's father. 

MY FAVOURITE QUOTE:
  • “Good gracious, he was sexy—a word that had not existed in my personal vocabulary until that moment. This guy was sexy like it was his job or something.” OH, THE IRONY ;)
  • “There was nothing healthy about desperately wanting something you couldn't have."
  • “Dear God!
    I screamed and buried my face in my pillow.
    "What?!" I heard him ask. "Did you see a roach?"
    "Why are you naked?!" I did not dare to lift my red face.
    "Huh. Is that all?" he asked. "I always sleep in the buff. I don't know how you can stand all that clothing."
    "Unbelievable." I said, and without looking at him I pulled myself up and stomped to the bathroom.” 
  • “Oh, dear Lord. I was in love with him. And there wasn’t a thing on earth, in heaven, or in hell that could have stopped me” 
  • "You came across the country-"
    "Shhh!" I warned him as people looked over. He lowered his voice to a shouted whisper.
    "-with the son of the Duke of Lust?! Son of a-” 
  • “I jumped and let out an embarrassing squeak when two hands came around my waist.
    "Just me, luv," he said, close to my ear. "Aren't you the picture of domestication? Do you cook as well?” 
★ ★ ★ ★
Please comment below (I'll reply) and follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/nylah_m
Wendy Higgins follows me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Questions=
Are you in love with Kaidan?
☻ Or did Blake or Jay or Kope catch your eye...or heart?
☻ Wasn't the cover phenomenal?
☻ Do you long for the day to go on a road trip with a super-hot, British drummer?

I am currently reading Sweet Reckoning, the last book in this trilogy, and after Sweet Peril, a review for that should be up!

Bye for now!!!!

References
Book cover: https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337613719l/11808950.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment