Saturday, 9 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Rush by Rachel Higginson

Goodreads summary:
A life not her own—A future already decided.

Every facet of Ivy Pierce’s life is meticulously planned out and plotted. Cynical and jaded by sixteen, Ivy’s only hope is to escape the legacy she was born into. 

She has a plan, a carefully thought out, feasible plan. She just has to play by the rules until everything falls into place. Unfortunately as predictable as her life can be, she never sees Ryder Sutton coming. He tumbles into her life unimpressed and untouched by her and the life she lives. He’s an enigma to her. A gorgeous, frustrating, sincere mystery and a complete phenomenon in the ugly world she lives in. 

What blooms between them is a fiercely intense attraction that cannot be ignored. Even though they would both be better off without each other—Even if both their lives depend on staying apart.


GENRE: YA (Young Adult), 16+
AUTHOR: Rachel Higginson
PUBLISHER: Kindle
SOURCE: Bought, Kindle edition, free
PAGE NUMBER: 370
RELEASE DATE: March 20th 2013

To be perfectly candid, I only bought this book because it was free. I hadn't read anything about it; I was just scrolling through books on the Kindle Store that were free. The cover caught my eye, and the blurb was pretty intriguing. So of course, without any further hesitation, I bought it. 

So it's the first book in the Siren series and boy, oh boy, I cannot wait to read the rest of the series. It is amazing!!!! 

I'd like to quickly give you a brief factfile-ish thing about Sirens. 
  • They're from Greek mythology
  • Are considered beautiful women who dine and...do other stuff with the Gods
  • This...cult thing led by Nix is to do exactly that; dine with guys and he gets paid
And OMG it was absolutely phenomenal! Just phenomenal. Very, very phenomenal. I loved the way Higginson talked through the emotions and struggles of Ivy (which were very bizarrely and cleverly sculpted into Greek mythology). It was just phenomenal. I'm just speechless at the clever storyline. Kudos, Ms Higginson, kudos.
The tale revolves around the sex slave industry, but has a huge, amazing twist. 

My own version of the plot goes like this: (SPOILERS?)
Ivy Pierce is a teenage redhead (her hair plays a huuugggeeee part. More specifically, the colour), who has the life she doesn't, but the one every girl thinks she wants. So basically, Ivy has a single mother, both of whom are commanded by a guy called Nix. He's the leader and has a particular...hungry fascination with Ivy. They are sort of like a cult that need to, for lack of better explanation, sell themselves to guys Nix picks in terms of appearance. They have to look nice; wear make up, style their hair, wear designer clothes, and even not eat properly. Ivy and her two best friends are a bit creeped out by Nix but still do what he says. She starts at a new school and (almost) immediately feels a connection to Ryder Sutton~ they meet by the classic coffee spilling scenario. It's amazing ;)
But she dates his friend, Chase and he's dating another girl and he works at a coffee shop and it is just amazing please go read it!
Oohhh and she's under pressure from her mother because she had a..breakdown last year and went to 'Rehab' and everyone at her new/old school have their own rumours about her.

To (almost) conclude, I think this is an amazing book and please, please please just buy it! It's free. Free, free, free. Trust me, you will love it...and totally swoon for Ryder. 

CHARACTERS

Ivy Pierce~ Poor Ivy is a victim. Not only of the intriguing Nix but also because of her mother. She's an amazing protagonist and it was my pleasure to read the story in her POV. (Yes, I treat fictional characters like real people). #proud 

Ryder Sutton~ Ryder, Ryder, Ryder..was incredibly swoon-worthy throughout the whole book- whether it was the fact that his in a band! Or the fact that he runs his hand through his  hair! Or every other attribute about him that you will discover...when you read then book  ;D

Nix~ Nix, to be honest, is scary and a little bit sickening. That's it. 

Exie and Sloane~ These two are Ivy's best friends, who are totally cool and flirty. They're basically the friends every teenage girl needs 

Chase and Phoenix~ They are two of Ryder's friends (he has more) and both add individuality to the story. Unlike Exie and Sloane, these two are different. For example, Phoenix is the friend with the hippie parents and thus throws parties and Chase is the shy one.

Kenna~ Ryder's (ex) girlfriend. She's good and bad, angel and demon, fire and water. 

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES:


  • ''Seriously, there was nothing more intimidating for a teenager then starting school well after everyone else and facing the death chamber known as the lunch room''. 
  • ''I trusted him to see more of me than anyone ever had, both physically and figuratively''
  • ''I couldn't let that happen with Chase, I couldn't ruin his life because I was selfish, because I was fundamentally and forever screwed up''.
  • ''I would be completely sucked into the void of darkness that was my soul, pulling in everything and anything around me''.
  • ''''Sex,'' Ryder said clearly in the wake of awkward silence. ''What?'' I sputtered. ''Sex, were you addicted to sex?'' he clarified. He settled his gray eyes on me again, their depths becoming pools of liquid silver. But still, he was mocking me, calling my bluff. There was nothing sparking in the air between us and I couldn't help but be intrigued. What was different about him? Why wasn't he pulled into the same bullshit every other man on the planet had to suffer from? ''Absolutely,'' I sat up straighter, my confidence gaining with each moment he held my gaze.

★ ★ ★ ★ 

Please comment below and let me know your views (I'll reply!)

Questions=
Do you want to sucker punch Nix?
☻ Is Ryder Sutton your new book boyfriend?
☻ Did you read this book non-stop for a few days, having no idea where you were or what you were doing? (Kinda like me)
☻ How many book boyfriends have you gained from this rocking book?

Bye!
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/nylah_m

Reference
Book cover: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/297856

1 comment:

  1. Ugh one new book on my TBR list... Need to find out who Ryder is!

    ReplyDelete