Monday, 11 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry

Goodreads summary:
So wrong for each other …and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. 

But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible. 

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

“A riveting and emotional ride!”—New York Times bestselling author Simone Elkeles

“McGarry details the sexy highs, the devastating lows and the real work it takes to build true love.” —Jennifer Echols, author ofSuch a Rush

“An edgy romance that pulls you in and never lets go. I was hooked!”Gena Showalter, New York Times bestselling author ofAlice in Zombieland

"Pushing the Limits is an accomplished debut, a perfect choicefor readers who thrive on edgy, riveting storytelling." --Bookpage

"Real aches and real love in Katie McGarry's sensitive, complex, always surprising, really excellent first novel." --School Library Journal


GENRE: YA (Young Adult), Contemporary
AUTHOR: Katie McGarry
PUBLISHER: Harlequin Teen, MIRA Ink
SOURCE: Bought, paperback
PAGE NUMBER: 392
RELEASE DATE: July 31st 2012 

To read my review of the sequel- Beth's love story- click here. 

I am absolutely in love with Ms McGarry's novels and the characters she creates. Seriously, she deserves way more credit than she gets.
I absolutely loved the writing style- in dual POV- and the way Ms McGarry made me feel the emotions and struggles of Echo and Noah. 

They had such real struggles and I love, love, LOVED the romance between Echo and Noah. How they hated each other, came from two different worlds, but in unlikely circumstances, work together and then fall for each other.

Noah Hutchins is basically the ultimate bad boy and I fall for him every time I read this novel (which is a lot!). Him and his best friends Isaiah and Beth live in Beth's aunt's basement and just get high all the time. But they're more than stoners.

My own version of the plot: (SPOILERS?)
Echo Emerson is living a lie- her mother put her in hospital, but her dad won't allow contact to enable Echo to discover what really happened, rumours swirl in school around what happened to her and the only person she can talk to- her brother- is dead.
Noah Hutchins used to be a star pupil and person- straight As, perfect family, star player...until his parents died and his brothers went into foster care, with what Noah considers the worst people ever. 
They are both expected to see the high school counsellor, Mrs Collins, and their friendship develops when Echo has to tutor him, at a party and other amazing events in this amazing book.

It's just great- buy it and read it. Seriously. You will love it. I cannot fathom how great it is. 

CHARACTERS:

Echo Emerson~ Is my book bestie. She is an amazing protagonist and I envy her relationship with Noah.

Noah Hutchins~ Oohhh the ultimate bad boy- I love him! #newbookboyfriend If he isn't a good enough reason to buy this book, then I am a monkey's uncle.

Isaiah~ I loved him in this novel, and love him even more in the next novels. He is so sweet, and the friendship between Echo and Isaiah is TDF. He, along with Beth, is Noah's best friend. I dig their bromance! :D

Beth~ Her personality wasn't pleasant but she meant well. All else aside, you will love her in the second book. (CLICK HERE TO READ MY REVIEW OF BETH'S LOVE STORY)

Lila~ Lila is Echo's best friend and she is not the stereotypical popular girl. Unlike Grace (Echo's old bestie), she understands her struggles and doesn't let the rumours ruin her rep (like Grace).

Mrs Collins~ I wish she was my high school counsellor!

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES:

  • “The worst type of crying wasn't the kind everyone could see--the wailing on street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived. For people like me and Echo, our souls contained more scar tissue than life.” 
  • “Luke used to give me butterflies. Noah spawned mutant pterodactyls.” SWOON
  • “If you’re scared, tell me. If you need to cry and scream, then do it. And you sure as hell don’t walk away from us because you think it would be better for me. Here’s the reality, Echo: I want to be by your side. If you want to go to the mall stark naked so you can show the world your scars, then let me hold your hand. If you want to see your mom, then tell me that too. I may not always understand, but damn, baby, I’ll try.” SWOON AGAIN
  • “Are you ready to take the ACT on Saturday?" my father asked.
    Did chickens enjoy being put on trucks labeled KFC? "Sure.”  LOL, LOVE THIS
  • “I watched you battle against the worst memory of your life and I watched you win. Make no mistake, Echo. I battled right beside you.” 
  • "I heard a rumor."
    "What's that?" I struggled to get out.
    "It's your birthday."
    Terrified speaking would break the spell, I licked my suddenly dry lips and nodded.
    "Happy birthday." AHHHHHH
  • “I've got you. I swear to God, I've got you," said Noah. "Stay with me, Echo."
    I wanted to. I wanted to stay with him, but the shouting and screams and glass breaking in my mind grew louder. "Make it stop."
    He tightened his grip on my arms. "Fight, Echo! You've got to fucking fight. Come on, baby. You're safe.” 
    LOVE HIM
★ ★ ★ ★ ★


{Sorry about all the quotes...what can I say?}

Okay! So leave comments please, letting me know your views (I'll reply!)

Questions:

☻Did you got cray-cray when Noah started saying ''I've got you. I swear to God, I've got you''? I sure as heck did!
☻Do you ship Isaiah and Beth?
☻Do you want your own Noah?
☻ How many times have you read this phenomenal book? o_O

Bye-bye!
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/nylah_m


Reference
Book cover:  http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1322770025l/10194514.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment