Monday, 18 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Goodreads summary: 


Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is.


GENRE: YA (Young Adult), Sci-fi
AUTHOR: Jennifer L Armentrout
PUBLISHER: Entangled Teen
SOURCE: Bought, paperback
PAGE NUMBER: 335
RELEASE DATE: May 8th 2012

I actually found this book by Googling 'books with characters like Patch' (from the Hush Hush saga), don't judge. I read about a range of books from a Goodreads discussion board but this one really captivated me (just by reading the summary. The thought of aliens was a little bit odd but compelling too. I thought, 'it's worth a shot- let's see how this works out'. So I read a sample on Amazon Kindle and HOLY FREAKING COW!!!!! It is probably in the top two of my favorite supernatural novels. 
Why? Two words: Daemon Black. Need me to elaborate? Daemon and Katy.  Dayum!! Their relationship is just asdfghjkl and full of feels and epic and sooooo brilliantly structured. I mean, I love that at the beginning, Daemon is an arse, (which I loved FYI. Who's with me? Comment below!) but then his and Katy's relationship and trust evolves slowly-so it ain't rushed or forced- and it's amazing and hot!!

I cannot stress how amazing this book is. I just love, love, love, LOVE Daemon and adore, adore, adore ADORE Katy. Urgh, it's so good!
Also, how beautiful is the cover? Check out the fab new one here--> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19081403-beginnings?from_search=true

My own version of the plot: (SPOILERS?)
Katy Swartz and her mother have moved to a new town after her father died of brain cancer. Katy is a somewhat shy yet confident book-worm/blogger, and moves into the house next to Daemon Black, and his sister, Dee. On their first encounter, Daemon be's, for lack of better word, mean to Katy but when she meets Dee in a supermarket, Dee is the opposite of Daemon and Katy notices there's something a little bit...odd about how people in town see the Blacks. 
Long story short, Daemon annoys (flirts with?)  Katy whilst Dee befriends her. But it's not until Dee goes out of town and takes away Daemon's car keys that Daemon and Katy bond and she discovers what they really are; aliens.

Again, I loved the book...hell, I'll love it- and the sequels- to ruins It's witty, action-packed and full of romance- or flirtation- all at the same time. It also includes steretypes (new girl lives next door, friendly sister of the arrogant and hot guy, she goes to prom with a jerk, gets saved etc- I've discovered that the stereotypes are what make the book). 

BONUS: I even got my sister addicted to this book...and Daemon ;) (Although I called dibs on him...since he is one of my book boyfriends)

CHARACTERS: 

Katy Swartz~ I would totally be BFFs with this protagonist, had she been real...*sniff* But to me, she is real. But seriously, it was an honor to be in her perspective in this novel- she's so relatable!

Daemon Black~ Daemon, Daemon, Daemon...he is so bad-ass, epic and alien (which is now uber hot) and hot and everything. Eeekkk!!!! I love him. 'Nuff said. (Oh, if he isn't enough of a reason to read this, then I don't know what is).

Dee Swartz~ Dee is sweet, preppy, and really friendly. She's a joy.

Katy's mother~ Is a sweet widow that works as a nurse.

There's tonnes more amazing characters- but read it and see!

MY FAVORITE QUOTES:
  • “Why are you such an ass?" The words came out before I could think twice.
    "Everyone has to excel at something, right?"
    "Well, you're doing a great job.” 
  • “I've always found that the most beautiful people, truly beautiful inside and out, are the ones who are quietly unaware of their effect."
  • “I don't think he meant to kiss me," I said finally.
    "What? Did he slip and fall on your mouth? Those things are known to happen.” 
  • “The day my internet was hooked up was better than having a hot guy check out my butt and ask for my phone number.”
  • “How long have you been standing there?"
    "Just long enough to see you give Daemon the middle finger."
    "He deserved it.” 
  • “You don't look like an alien!' It seemed important to point that out.
    He arched a brow. 'And what do aliens look like?'
    'Not...not like you,' I sputtered. 'They aren't gorgeous--'
    'You think I'm gorgeous?' He smiled.” 
  • “Ash is going to kick your ass, Daemon."
    Daemon's grin went up a notch. "Nah, she likes my ass too much for that.” 
  • “I was always able to lose myself in reading. Books were a necessary escape I always gladly jumped into headfirst.” 
  • “I've always avoided confrontation in the past, but this guy was flipping my bitch switch like nothing else.” 
-- I like a lot of quotes from Obsidian...sorry -_-

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I'm giving this book 5.5 stars out of 5; that's how good it is. (Well done, Ms Armentrout). 

Please, please comment below, giving me your views on this book (I'll reply!) 
Also, follow me on Twittertwitter.com/nylah_m

Questions: 
Does every girl need a Daemon in her life? Can you tell me where to get one?
Has this book changed the way you see aliens?
Are you more of a Katy, a Dee or an Ashley?
Is Daemon Black your new favourite Black? 

I am currently reading Opposition, the last book in this series, and a review for the next four books should be up shortly!

Bye!!

References
Book cover:  http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328275091l/12578077.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment