Thursday, 21 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Goodreads summary:
Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (Fran├žois Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.


A film has been confirmed: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3829868/
GENRE: YA (Young Adult)
AUTHOR: John Green
PUBLISHER: Speak
SOURCE: Bought, paperback
PAGE NUMBER: 256
RELEASE DATE: December 28th 2006

I will admit that the only reason I bought this book was because it was on offer at my local Waterstones, (I also got Insurgent). 
I can sort of say that I had not researched it before I bought it, but with practically all of the quotes from this book on Tumblr, I guess I stand corrected. 

So the book follows sixteen year old Miles who wants to go seek a 'Great Perhaps' and he's obsessed with the last words of tonnes of famous people (not reality stars- poets, authors, etc).
And Miles moves to a boarding school and meets his roommate Chip/'Colonel'. He gets of to a rough start but then befriends the Colonel's friends; Alaska and Tukumi. (Miles kinda falls for Alaska). Hard.

So I enjoyed the overall plot that happened in the novel- it was fun, witty and definitely mischievous. One thing that was a good-bad thing was Miles starting smoking when he hung out with the Colonel and his friends. Good because it outlined peer pressure and bad because Miles didn't even try to fight it. He was the only one that had money to buy cigarettes so decided to light them up..I get where he's coming from but still...
IDK, comment below, letting me know what you think.

Overall, aside from the ending...or the partition between the 'before' segment and the 'after' segment, I enjoyed the book. 
It gave me a roller coaster of emotions (cry, laugh, smile, smirk, oh and that feeling or mixed feelings) which is one of the key qualities in all the best books.

Yeah, so I liked this book and really enjoyed John Green's writing. It was written in first person- Miles' POV. Granted, I partly bought this because of all the The Fault In Our Stars hype. (To read my TFiOS review, click here). 
But it was genuinely a good book. I enjoyed it. 

CHARACTERS:

Miles~ Miles was a character that I enjoyed..he was a bit weak at the beginning but evolved quickly in the 'after' part of the book. A joy, he was.

Alaska~ Alaska was an outspoken, confident, bad ass character. She represents all types of girl power and is actually a feminist (she refused to iron the Colonel's shirt for a date when he asked, because of him thinking girls can only do domestic chores).

Chip 'Colonel'~ The Colonel was a smart, hilarious character. He's my book, male doppelganger.

There are lots more characters, but read it and befriend them!!

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES:

  • “The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” 
  • '' We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.” 
  • “When I look at my room, I see a girl who loves books.” 
  • “I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was hurricane.”
  • “I may die young, but at least I'll die smart.” 
  • “What you must understand about me is that I’m a deeply unhappy person.” 
  • “And then something invisible snapped insider her, and that which had come together commenced to fall apart.” 

★ ★ ★ ★
Please, please comment below, giving me your views on this book (I'll reply!)
Also, follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/nylah_m

Questions:

☻ Be honest, have you seen most of the quotes from this novel on Tumblr or WeHeartIt?
☻ Do you wanna attend their boarding school?
☻ The Eagle is epic, right?
☻ Who was your favourite character?

Bye!!!!!!! :)

References:
Book cover: REFERENCE: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JNRGnQSBp2E/ThN8cD1tdxI/AAAAAAAAAuE/VRIu9YIlOvo/s400/Looking-For-Alaska-John-Green.png

No comments:

Post a Comment