Sunday, 10 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Fallen by Lauren Kate

Goodreads summary:

What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?17-year-old Lucinda falls in love with a gorgeous, intelligent boy, Daniel, at her new school, the grim, foreboding Sword & Cross . . . only to find out that Daniel is a fallen angel, and that they have spent lifetimes finding and losing one another as good & evil forces plot to keep them apart. Get ready to fall . .

A film has been made, due to be released next year. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1564777/

GENRE: YA (Young Adult), Fantasy
AUTHOR: Lauren Kate
PUBLISHER: Delacorte Press, Random House
SOURCE: Bought, paperback
PAGE NUMBER: 452
RELEASE DATE: January 1st 2009
I came upon this book in a very bizarre, yet fateful way. At my grocery store/supermarket, I was looking for a book to read in English class. This was a few years ago, when I wasn't that interested in reading. So I bought Torment, second book in the Fallen series, because of the absolutely stunning cover. Needless to say, the cover for this book was/is also absolutely stunning, enigmatic and mysterious. 

The storyline was compelling enough, without the cover. But they were both amazing. I really enjoyed this novel
The writing style was in third person, which was different to the tense/POV that I usually read but made it so. 

The characters introduced were amazing, and I know consider them my book friends. I really enjoy the world that Ms Kate has created and still live in it, although the last novel was released last year.

My own version of the plot: (SPOILERS?)
Lucinda Price must attend a boarding school for juvenile teens as she had a bit of a mishap with a boy named Trevor at a party. Once arrived, Luce feels a bit like an outsider and befriends a quirky girl named Arianne and a quiet, shy girl named Penn. A boy named Cam takes a liking to her but she feels a connection of recognition to the mysterious Daniel Grigori. (SPOILER ALERT: They have known each other for a very long time). 

So yeah, it's an amazing read and even if you don't usually go for the ol' fallen angel themed book, you'd totally have a different mind set when you read this. So read it, read it, read it.
Bonus: It's never too late to read this amazing book series...but wouldn't it be better to read it prior to it becoming a film and getting tonnes of buzz? 

CHARACTERS:

Lucinda 'Luce' Price~ Our main protagonist who is truly amazing. I really enjoyed reading about her adventures and, although the book isn't in her POV, I still felt her pain. (Kudos, Lauren Kate).

Daniel Grigori~ My old time, original book boyfriend. He is an amazing puzzle and..urgh is just so awesome! I can promise you that you will fall in love with him.
BONUS: In the film, Daniel is set to be portrayed by the eye candy that is Jeremy Irvine. ;) 

Cameron 'Cam' Briel~ I loved him and I hated him. That being said, I do not think the book- heck, the series- would not be the same without Cam. 

Pennyweather 'Penn' van Syckle Lockwood~ I really enjoyed Penn and her amazing, witty lines. They will always make me laugh and she was sweet when she helped Luce dig out Daniel's deets.

Arianna~ I really want Arianne to be real and to be my BFF. Enough said, she was incredible.

Gabbe~ Gabbe was like the mature, fashionable and oh, so amazing character in the book. Every book needs a Gabbe.

Mrs Sophia~ (SPOILER ALERT) Everything is not what it seems...

Molly~ Ooohhh Molly. I never want to cross paths with Molly, especially with food on a tray ;)

Roland~ Hahah I loved the bromance between Daniel and Roland!! It was a joy...Rolaniel? Danand?

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES:
  • “What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?” 
  • “Please don't worry. I will always come for you. I won't let you go until you understand that."
    "Then I refuse to understand," she said.” 
  • “Checkmate, bitch. -Arriane” 
★  ★  ★  ★
Remember to comment, telling me your views (I'll reply!)

Questions:

Cam or Daniel?
☻ Is this, in your opinion, the best love story ever?
☻ From this book, who is your OTP?
☻Are you excited for the film? o_O

Kk, bye bye!!
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/nylah_m

Reference
Book cover: http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10700000/Cover-fallen-by-lauren-kate-10719564-600-963.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment