Saturday, 9 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Goodreads summary: 
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


A film was released, based on the novel: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1840309/

GENRE: YA (Young Adult), Dystopian
AUTHOR: Veronica Roth
PUBLISHER: Katherine Tegen Books, Harper Collins
SOURCE: Bought, paperback 
PAGE NUMBER: 487
RELEASE DATE: February 28th 2012

To be honest, I honestly purchased this book because I saw the trailer of 'The next Hunger Games' with Shailene Woodley and a handsome piece of eye-candy (Theo James). Hehe. So yeah, back on topic, I mistakenly labelled it as a book that got wayyy to much credit than it deserved and the books would probably not be that good. Surprisingly, I was wrong. It was an amazing piece of words. 

So, as promised by critics, it did bear some similarities to The Hunger Games. 
Factions↠ Districts
Dystopian world/city↠ Dystopian world/city
Fearless female↠ Fearless female
But it was also totally different from The Hunger Games. 

So the book follows a sixteen year old girl called Beatrice who, along with her brother Caleb and every other teenager goes to this ceremony thing to choose what faction they rightfully belong to...although they can choose. So it starts with a simulation, where they need to go past certain obstacles which have choices (is she nice enough to shoot the dog? or let the dog attack a little girl?) 

Beatrice is born into Abnegation, but chooses the Dauntless factions. They are like the rebels of the whole world (or Chicago IDK).
There, she befriends Christina, Will and Al and meets her trainers, Eric and Four. 

Anyway, you know the story from here on in- she falls for Four. But it's more than that. I really like Roth's writing and the plot and it was different and intriguing and I'm currently reading its sequel, Insurgent. 

Yeah, so apart from the stereotypical label that it's a copy of The Hunger Games or is not as good, in my opinion, it's in the same league. 
(**NOTE**: I am not referring to the films, only books). 

CHARACTERS:

Beatrice 'Tris' Prior~ She is a very pleasant protagonist; very fearless and once she and Four become an item, she is still her own person, which I admire. 

Tobias 'Four' Eaton~ My new favourite book boyfriend (I have loads!). He is an enigma that has issues of his own and he is uber swoon-worthy ;)

Christina~ Her character was okay, I guess- it plays more significance in the sequel. 

Peter~ I wanted to strangle Peter, but I guess that that made him be a good villain (Brava, Ms Roth)

Al and Will~ I won't say anything to prevent spoiling anything big. But they were enjoyable.

Caleb Prior~ He was an enjoyable nerd/big brother. And I enjoyed that. 

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES:

  • “Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.” 
  • “Peter would probably throw a party if I stopped breathing.'

    'Well,' he says, 'I would only go if there was cake.” 
  • “Then I realize what it is. It's him. Something about him makes me feel like I am about to fall. Or turn to liquid. Or burst into flames.” 
  • “It must require bravery to be honest all the time.” 

★ ★ ★ ★ 


Remember to comment below, telling me your views (I reply!)

Questions:
☻Did you enjoy the book?
☻ If Four your new favourite number?
☻What faction do you belong in?

Bye!
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/nylah_m

Reference
Book cover: http://www.divergentlife.com/p/the-books.html

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I love that you include favorite quotes with your reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lindsey!! Some quotes are just too good ;) I'm so glad you enjoyed

      Delete