Friday, 8 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Goodreads Summary:
Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth.""No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again...."I dare you..."If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....

To read my review of the first one- Echo and Noah's love story- click here. 

GENRE: YA (Young Adult)/Contemporary 
AUTHOUR: Katie McGarry
PUBLISHER: Harlequin Teen/MIRA Ink
SOURCE: Bought, paperback
PAGE NUMBER: 456
RELEASE DATE: May 28th 2013

So basically, this book was Beth's love story and at first I was reluctant to read it. But boy, oh boy, was I wrong. And luckily, I mainly go against my instincts. So I went ahead and read it...

I think I can solemnly swear that this book is my all time favourite YA/Contemporary book of all time. It includes all the elements that, to me, make up a good book. One con that turned into a pro was the amount of stereotypes in the book (jock that has a secret love for poetry/writing, bad girl that has a chance of redemption with a rich family member, jocks friends consist of the smart one and the crazy, confident one). Shortly after the first few chapters, I realised that the book wouldn't be as good without the stereotypes.


The writing style was amazing- it was written in dual POVs, so we got a taste of Ryan's and Beth's thoughts (which I love). The plot was brilliant and I loved the way Echo, Noah and Isaiah made tiny but unforgettable cameos. (Bravo Ms McGarry). 


My own version of the plot goes like this: (SPOILERS?)

Beth loves her mother and hates her mother's boyfriend. So when her mother's boyfriend goes a little too crazy one drunken night, Beth obviously defends her mother. But that ends up getting her busted- in jail. At the police station, is Shirley (Beth's aunt) and Beth's two best friends, Noah and Isaiah...and her rich uncle Scott. He bails her out...in return for her to come and live with him and his wife. Of course she is, in a word, unhappy with this and protests but it doesn't work. Her uncle was a baseball player and is somewhat a role model to Ryan Stone. He meets him and Scott introduces his niece. But then he remembers her as the girl he got dared to ask out....

It is seriously an AMAZING book and so I would recommend it to anyone. The good thing about the Pushing The Limits novels is they are, in a sense, standalone novels. Meaning, you don't have to read the others to catch up on previous events (but honestly, you would be missing out if you didn't).


CHARACTERS

Beth Risk~ Beth is a somewhat damaged character but that's what makes her story the best out of the whole series. She goes through struggles but in her new town is an outsider. Her personality has positively evolved from the first book. What she replied to Ryan and some others definitely agreed with my inner dark side. 
I couldn't really relate to her (no drugs/alcohol/cigarettes for me, please. Ever) but I still felt her pain. Plus, I feel pretty bad ass for reading all that :D

Ryan Stone~ The jock with the secret love/gift of writing, Ryan is my new book boyfriend ;) His struggles match the hardship of Beth's (in a way) but they are totally different. My first thoughts on Ryan were 'Urgh, another rich-boy-popular-jock protagonist. Great(!)' I really regret that now. He's amazing and that gesture for Beth with the rain..I can't..

Scott Risk~ Scott is an epic, modern day version of Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. But he's also more than that. He is strict but also flexible. I don't know..he's a bad-ass ninja in disguise. 

Logan, Chris and Lacey~ Ryan's best friends. I usually am annoyed with the protagonists BFFs because they usually have no significance. But this book would not be the same without them. Truth

Isaiah~ Bless poor Isaiah! He thinks he's in love with Beth and is broken-hearted when she falls for Ryan. My thoughts whilst reading about Isaish: Urm.. I'll love you, Isaiah, I'll love you ;)

Noah and Echo [Necho||Echoah??]~ The original characters from the first novel. They are still pretty cool. Jokes- they are epic as ever! 

MY FAVOURITE QUOTES:
  • “You're a lot like that bird in the barn. You're so scared that you're going to be caged in forever you can't see the way out. You smack yourself against the wall again and again and again. The door is open, Beth. Stop running in circles and walk out.”

  • “I hold the bottle out into the rain and watch as the steady flow slowly fills it. When there is enough, enough that Beth can clearly see, I close the bottle and hand it to her.
          She raises a skeptical eyebrow, but accepts the bottle.

          "It's our rain Beth."

           Her head barely shakes to show her confusion while I rub the back of my neck and                  search for my courage. "I told you I loved you in this rain and when you doubt my                    words, I want you to look at this bottle.” 
  • “I like you. I. Like. You. I'll admit you're annoying. Sometimes you agitate me to the brink of insanity, but you can throw it back at me like no one else. When you laugh, I want to laugh. When you smile, I want to smile. Hell, I want to be the one to make you smile.” 
  • “You're falling for me like I'm falling for you. That's why you're pushing me so hard.”
★ ★ ★ ★ 
Right then, I think that's it. So, my time here is almost done:

But first, please comment and let me know your views (I'll reply)!

Questions= 
Did you secretly wish for Isaiah coming in and swooping Beth and them two to be your           OTP?
Who else swooned when Ryan got that bottle of rain?
Was it good to see Echo and Noah?
Has anyone else gained new book boyfriends? Tell me which are your fave in the                     comments!

Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/nylah_m

Reference
Book cover: miraink.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/cover-reveal-dare-you-to-katie-mcgarry.html

No comments:

Post a Comment