Friday, 15 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Crash Into You by Katie McGarry

Goodreads summary:
From acclaimed author Katie McGarry comes an explosive new tale of a good girl with a reckless streak, a street-smart guy with nothing to lose, and a romance forged in the fast lane. 

The girl with straight As, designer clothes and the perfect life—that's who people expect Rachel Young to be. So the private-school junior keeps secrets from her wealthy parents and overbearing brothers...and she's just added two more to the list. One involves racing strangers down dark country roads in her Mustang GT. The other? Seventeen-year-old Isaiah Walker-a guy she has no business even talking to. But when the foster kid with the tattoos and intense gray eyes comes to her rescue, she can't get him out of her mind. 

Isaiah has secrets, too. About where he lives, and how he really feels about Rachel. The last thing he needs is to get tangled up with a rich girl who wants to slum it on the south side for kicks-no matter how angelic she might look. 
But when their shared love of street racing puts both their lives in jeopardy, they have six weeks to come up with a way out. Six weeks to discover just how far they'll go to save each other.


To read my reviews of the the previews books in this series...
click here for Pushing The Limits and
click here for Dare You To

GENRE: YA (Young Adult), Contemporary
AUTHOR: Katie McGarry
PUBLISHER: Harlequin Teen, MIRA Ink
SOURCE: Bought, paperback
PAGE NUMBER: 474
RELEASE DATE: November 26th 2013

This book is brilliantly epic! I loved it so much and can't believe I waited this long to read it (but it was so good, I read it in 2.5 days).
I was really excited to read Isaiah's story coz he always felt a bit broken to me (But I still love him) 

Like all of Katie McGarry's books, this one is written in dual POV, which is amazing as it gives us an insight of both of the protagonists' sides of events and their emotions. 
We are introduced to Rachel Young, an anxiety-ridden seventeen year old who has four brothers, two of which protect and look out for her...so much so that she hasn't had her first kiss yet -_-
We're also re-introduced to Isaiah Walker, one of the members of the most epic trio ever, from Pushing The Limits and Dare You To. {Speaking of which, are Noah, Beth and Isaiah named Noethaiah? Or Isethoah? Let me know in the comments below!}

If I had to pick a favorite book from this series, this one would probably be it. (NOTE: It's a very close tie). Crash Into You is probably my favorite because I could really relate to the character of Rachel. She's prone to having panic attacks and is somewhat anti-social. She's also living a lie due to her parents' expectations (luckily, I don't relate to the last one). 

My own version of the plot: (SPOILERS?)
Isaiah Walker is experiencing a money problem, with his roommate and best friend, Noah Hutchins, deliberating moving into the dorms of college. So Isaiah decides to go to a drag race and meets Rachel Young. Although they don't initially bond (mainly because Isaiah stereotypes her as a rich, stuck up girl, borrowing her Daddy's car, with no care for racing or cars), their love story is one of the best I've ever read. The police arrive after Rachel loses to Isaiah and she doesn't know where to go (she has a curfew deal thing with her twin, Ethan). So he takes her with him and they bond in a bar/club and he takes her to his apartment after a bar fight (not including them) and Rachel finally has her first kiss! (I'd be lying to say I wasn't jealous of her).
But he doesn't call her and she can't stop thinking about him...little does she know, vice-versa. Turns out, Eric, the leader of the drag racing thing that night, is after Rachel so Isaiah can't be seen with her/contact her even if he wanted to. Eric got mugged and wants to be payed back...by Rachel. 

Phew! That was long but believe you me there is a whole lot more action that goes on in this book. Read it to find out. Seriously. It rules. 

BONUS: There's a scene or two where all the characters from the previous books (Noah, Echo, Beth, Ryan, Chris, Logan, etc) are together...it felt like I died and went to heaven! It was seriously like fanfiction. I really enjoyed the other characters reappearing...it felt good :P

NOTE: Yes, this book does involve a lot of 'car-talk' and if you, like me, don't know a huge deal about cars, fear not because Ms McGarry talks so simplistic yet informing about cars...and I'm almost certain I've learned a lot about cars since reading this book ;)

CHARACTERS:

Isaiah Walker~ Isaiah Walker is the character we all know and love from Pushing The Limits and Dare You To, A.K.A. my ultimate book boyfriend ;) but I feel like he has somewhat matured and evolved since the last two books. He still leans on Noah for certain situations...but that's what big brothers are for, right?

Rachel Young~ I'm almost certain Rachel is my book counterpart/doppelganger. I loved this character and totally related to her. But also sympathized her dearly. 

Abby~ Abby is a cool new character that is Isaiah's (sometimes annoying) childhood friend. (Allow me clarify: to Isaiah she was annoying, to me, her words were verbal gold). She was so funny and sweet but rough around the edges as well. 

Ethan Young~ Ethan is Rachel's twin brother, who is loyal and sweet and protective of his sister. I enjoyed reading scenes between Rachel and Ethan (Oh, and Isaiah and Ethan's relationship is funny)

West Young~ West is the older, overprotective, badass brother we all want. He was an amazing character to read, and he has his own love story, entitled Take Me On! Read about it here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18333898-take-me-on

The Young Family~ There was a slight bit of hypocrisy in them, but they meant well...Rachel's mother had not gotten over her other daughter, Colleen's death and her father wanted to do anything to make her feel better. Rachel, Ethan and West's older two brothers (Gavin and Jack) were not feeling enough love from their parents and I felt sorry for them...to make it worse, Gavin dealt with it by gambling. :(

Noah & Echo, Ryan & Beth, Chris, etc~ are still as epic as ever. It was reassuring (believe it or not :1) to hear updates for what my other favorite characters from this series were up to. 

Logan~ Logan has a rather significant role in this book, and is just as loveable, if not more, than he was in Dare You To. 
Eric~ Eric was scary; I never wanna cross paths with Eric 


MY FAVORITE QUOTES:
  • “When I’m with you, even my past seems like a bad dream,”
  • “I can’t give you the world, Rachel, but I’ll give you all I got.” 
  • “Maybe this is what happens when you fall in love. On the outside a lighter is nothing amazing, but it holds all the ingredients that can create something wonderful. With a few pushes in the right direction, you can inspire something so brilliant that it pushes back the darkness.” 
  • “This is who I am, Rachel . Accept it or not. The tattoos won’t wash off. The earrings will never change. I am who I am and nothing more.''
  • “I’m sorry I’m slow.”
    He brushes my hair over my shoulder. “You’re not slow.”
    I raise an eyebrow.
    “I’m serious.”
  • “What people project to the world never shows what's lurking on the inside” 

★ ★ ★ ★ 

Comment below, telling me your views

Questions
☻ Are you happy Isaiah finally got his love story?
☻ Do you want a brother like West?
☻ After reading this book, do you feel slightly educated about cars now?
☻ Did you feel euphoric when all your fave book characters were in one scene together?

A note for Ms McGarry

Dear Ms McGarry, I really enjoyed your books; they inspired me and made me have a different perception on life. This world that you have created will forever stay with me. 
Also, know that the covers for all my Pushing The Limits books have almost fallen off ;-) 

Bye 
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/nylah_m


References
Book cover: http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1370532247l/17233800.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment